Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Boz
Roku Guru

Re: Activation issue code 001

Jump to solution

The Roku Express 4K+ 3941R (2021) is an excellent value and is a great streaming device for the vast majority of people. If anybody needing an updated Roku missed the $24 price (https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/roku-express-4k-plus-on-sale/), it's currently only $29 at https://www.amazon.com/Roku-3941R-Express-4K/dp/B0916TKFF2, and probably similarly priced at other retailers, which is still a great price.

You can also check https://my.roku.com/upgrade/ while logged into your Roku account to see if there are any discounted upgrade offers.

0 Kudos
Ajs6969

Jump to solution

Just bought Roku Express and can’t get it activated.  Keep getting Error 001 and Try Again.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Ajs6969 one thing that has worked for many users is to use a hotspot, such as one on a smart phone. It makes no sense, but that seems to let it activate, and then the Roku works just fine on the home network. I can't say it's a guaranteed solution, and again it makes no sense, but it's worked for many people.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
JS19271

Jump to solution

I will agree with you that the N1000 or whatever model of Roku it is if thirteen years old is outdated and that person may need to replace it BUT!... The problem they are having, a lot of other people are having with newer roku devices. As a matter of fact I am having that same issue and I have a Roku Ultra and I have done ALL the possible fixes I could find to no avail. I then did the last resort and did the factory reset and NOW can't get the activation code due to a problem they are having sending me the code via email! And... yes I tried creating a new roku account and that didn't work either. SO I gave up after three days of frustrating non results and bought a brand new roku device just to have it do the EXACT same thing! yes I called Roku support who had me repeat the things I already tried 10 times and it didn't help. 
They finally gave up and told me to return the device because it was defective....hmmmm. I used to be impressed with roku, not any longer. I will now use any other streaming device but a Roku!!!!!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@JS19271 With the Ultra, there is no activation code. They stopped using a code several years ago. Instead you enter your Roku email address, and they email you an activation link. This eliminates owners going to a bogus web site that claimed to be the Roku activation page, and instead was used to steal users login information, and often attempt to convince the user they needed to pay for a "premium" user account (which doesn't exist). 

It's been at least two years since I've activated my most recent Roku player (a Stick 4K+), and it activated as expected and has worked fine ever since. My oldest Roku player still in common use is approaching 7 years old (Ultra 4640) and still works fine. I do have some older players, and they are still in use by two of my grandkids. One is seven years old and the other is eight. I have a really old 2 XS (model 3050) which is now almost 12 years old. While it still works, it's no longer supported and won't work with many of the most common channels.

The N1000 you mentioned is the original Roku player released in May 2008, so almost 15 years old. Yes, it's a useless device, and no one should be surprised something that old simply doesn't work anymore. There are Android phones that are no longer supported after only a few years. Roku actually does quite well in the length of time they continue to support older devices. 

Dan

0 Kudos
JS19271

Jump to solution

Excuse me let me clarify... I have the Roku Ultra that all of a sudden stopped working except for Netflicks.

I spent three days trying to get it working again and finally did the factory reset which now will not let me activate it ( code or link?)I don't know because I can't get that far in the process!! either with the Ultra or the new one I bought !!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Well, that certainly does seem to point to a hardware failure of some type. It's an unfortunate reality with electronic devices that they can sometimes fail. I had a brand new Insignia Roku TV that was stuck in the activation loop about 6 years ago. I took it back to Best Buy and swapped it for another, and that TV is still working fine as a computer monitor on my daughter's media server. Sometimes they just decide they don't want to work. But my overall experience with Roku devices (now right about 10 years) is that's the only failure I've had.

I do caution people from getting the basic Express model, as it's the only current model that doesn't have a dual band WiFi radio, and is also lacking operational memory and channel storage compared to the other players. I have eight Roku devices on my user account (including the ancient 2 XS) that all still function, and except for the 2 XS they are all still usable. 

Dan

0 Kudos