Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mta
Binge Watcher

unable to play any video

I have a roku channel for last few years. and i converted to direct publishing 2 years. 

Channel was working fine till 27th april. Since then users are not able play any video. They can browser the channel. it shows all content thumbnail but when clicking on any thumbnail, nothing happens.

in dashboard, feed status is fine and no error.

Can someone suggest any way to debug this.

Note: when using search feature to find a video, then it plays.

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: unable to play any video

That is weird & not sure I've heard about that before, but it sounds familiar. Try a forum search here for some of those keywords (Thumbnail, Search) and sort by date. See if anything occured in the last month or two.

Otherwise, try emailing partnersuccess@roku.com  although, just a quick question, do you host your videos with Vimeo?  In general, there's been an off & on glitch with them, but it wasn't related to that issue specifically from what I recall. Anyway, email partner success.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Have you made any recent changes to the channel?  What service are you using for hosting?  Are you using secure protocol (https) for the videos?

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
mta
Binge Watcher

No change was made to channel.

2 weeks ago, I added french as supporting language in channel information, and since then it was fine.

Yes we are using Https to publish hls stream.

0 Kudos
mta
Binge Watcher

it looks some sort of subscription got added to the channel. after the 4th video, it shows a message saying "start subscription".

anyone knows how to remove this. our channel is free to watch and there is no subscription involved.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

DP does not support a subscription model. Did you build the channel with the sdk, or, DP?  If sdk, you need to post in the other developers forum.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
mta
Binge Watcher

built with DP. There is no option on dashboard for subscription, though channel seems forcing it.

0 Kudos
mosafer
Roku Guru

Change your Itemids to new ones. For example add a letter before current one (1234567 -> R1234567) , make new jason with new name and let Roku digest, Publish and wait for at least 6 hours. 

0 Kudos
mta
Binge Watcher

I have changed id for all assets and also updated the feed url. however there is no change in channel playback. there is still same message appear against every video saying "start subscription"

And roku developer/partner support is not providing any info.

anyone experiencing similar issue?

0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

What do you mean Partner Success isn't providing any info?  Have they just not written you back as of yet?  They tend to take a few days to respond, and don't work weekends. It's not ideal response time but it's what they provide.

Anyway, definitely sounds like a Roku backend glitch, esp if you're sure it's a DP channel.

0 Kudos