Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
konjames
Visitor

categories

trying to add a new category to my channel but it wont let me.... 

It lets me type whatever i want in "*Add a category..."
but when i try to type in the "select" box it only lets me pick from the other categories i have... i wan to make a new one... am i missing something?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: categories

In my experiences, using the developer portal to define categories is "klugy". It seems to work differently depending on the browser you use. Have you tried pressing Enter for the fields you typed in? Alternatively, you can define the categories in the feed file.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
konjames
Visitor

"Baradanikto" wrote:
In my experiences, using the developer portal to define categories is "klugy".  It seems to work differently depending on the browser you use. Have you tried pressing Enter for the fields you typed in?  Alternatively, you can define the categories in the feed file.

I've tried pressing enter yes - how exactly do you define categories in json feed?
0 Kudos
konjames
Visitor

It only lets me select from that drop down...is this normal?
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

The DP Feed Schema allows you to bypass some of the Developer Portal interface.  You can define categories and play lists in the feed file.  Doing so will provide more control over these items in your feed.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
nabeards
Visitor

"konjames" wrote:

The drop-down is a list of all of the tags you currently have in your feed file. If you want to use different tags to create a new category, you have to add that tag to each of those movies in the feed itself. Once you do that and refresh the feed, you will be able to choose the new tag for the category.

HTH,
nabeards

EDIT: further thinking through the issue
0 Kudos