Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnary
Streaming Star

Way to Edit Header in JSON file?

Jump to solution

I'm trying to load my json file into the feed url and continually keep getting the "The server returned an unsupported content type. Was expecting 'application/rss+xml', 'text/xml', 'application/xml' or 'application/json' but received 'text/html'" error. 

My json url is located at http://fff.infinityfreeapp.com/wp-json/tv/roku/

I suspect the problem has to do with the header content-type. The json file my plugin generates is "application/json; charset=UTF-8."  Would the addition of charset=UTF-8 to the content-type line cause this issue? If so, how do I eliminate it from the header of my json file?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnary
Streaming Star

Re: Way to Edit Header in JSON file?

Jump to solution

I was able to fix this problem by using Amazon S3 to host my json file. When uploading the file to my Amazon S3 bucket, it allows you to designate the content-type to application/json, which Roku needs to ingest your file.

Special thanks to @Baradanikto for the tip.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
sattun
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Content type is correct (application/json; charset=utf-8), it looks that your link/site is returning html instead of JSON, your should content your developer to fix that.

Also, If you are looking for a robust solution to manage your content feed, then check out our OTTfeed.com platform, it will save you a lot of time and frustration managing and debugging your feed.

OTTfeed: Lease a custom Roku SDK for $99/month go to https://OTTfeed.com/lease
johnary
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I was able to fix this problem by using Amazon S3 to host my json file. When uploading the file to my Amazon S3 bucket, it allows you to designate the content-type to application/json, which Roku needs to ingest your file.

Special thanks to @Baradanikto for the tip.

0 Kudos
Zave
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@johnary 

I'm having issues setting up my Json Feed from my s3 bucket using CloudFront or CloudFormation.  Is this something you could help me with?  Thx in advance!

0 Kudos
johnary
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Sure thing.  I don't use CloudFront or CloudFormation. I edit my JSON file using a Wordpress plugin called WP Smart TV. The plugin creates a JSON file that I can upload to my S3 account. Here is how I do it:

1) Set up an Amazon S3 account. This is free.

2) Create a bucket in your S3 account. This is where your JSON file will live.

3) Upload your JSON file to your bucket. When you add your file, be sure to click on the properties section and scroll down to the METADATA section. Click on the Add Metadata button. Under type, use System Defined. Under Key, choose Content-Type. Under Value, use application/json.

4) Now that your JSON files has been uploaded to your bucket, you need to make it public. Select your file and click on the Actions menu and choose Make Public Using ACL. Confirm that you want to make the file public.

Your JSON file is now available to your Roku channel. I know this sounds like a lot of steps, but after you do it a couple of times, it will only take you a minute or two when you want to update your JSON file.  Also, when you're ready to upload an updated JSON file, just use the exact same name and replace your old JSON file using the steps listed here. Your root directory feed for your Roku channel should look something like 

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 2.39.04 PM.png

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, just let me know.

0 Kudos
Zave
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@johnary 

I just tried inputting the URL format you suggested in your reply into the feed URL--thx for that btw...and I got this error (see below)

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 15.14.37.png

0 Kudos
johnary
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Whoops. I think I gave you the wrong format for the feed file. To find the proper url, click on your JSON file within S3. You'll see all of the information about your file. Under the first section called Object Overview, look for the Object URL. This will be the url you use for your file. It should look like this:

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 2.39.04 PM.png

0 Kudos
Zave
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thx @johnary for the link, but how did you create the actual link after you uploaded the Json feed file into your s3 bucket?  That seems to be the (missing) step that i'm not clear on at this point.

Also, I downloaded the WP Smart TV zip file, but is there a dmg for mac as well (i tried to search for this but got no results).  I obviously have to install WordPress for the dashboard functionality in order to accomodate the WP Smart TV install...yes?

0 Kudos
johnary
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Once the file is uploaded to your Amazon S3 bucket, click on the file. A window like this will open up:

The link you need is located under the Object URL. This will be your feed url.

As far as WP Smart TV, you'll first need to create a Wordpress website before you install this plugin. I would suggest looking this up on YouTube for a tutorial. The WP Smart TV plugin has several good videos that show off how it works.

0 Kudos
Zave
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@johnary,

I'm so close I can feel it!  I always suspected it would be the Object URL, but was mislead with conflicting messages from others on this Community Forum 😞

Here's what I get when I input the Object URL into my Feed URL for my Channel (I suspect it's the actual Json that's responsible for this error message below--let me know if you agree. 

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 12.32.07.png

If so, then I will have to figure out the WP Smart TV piece to build a valid Json Feed file and upload it to my s3 bucket...Yes?  Thx for all you do!

0 Kudos