Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lowbrown

Use RDP to create custom (for sale) screensaver?

Hello I have created a few streaming channels with RDP and would like to do a paid screensaver. I can't seem to find any info on if this is possible (vs. SDK/coding) and when I search the forums it just brings up user issues with their paid/free screensavers!

# 1 is it possible to create a custom, for-sale, screensaver using RDP and get it in the screensaver search on Roku?

# 2 Is there available documentation to do this?

# 3 If not possible with RDP, is it super hard to custom code one? I have limited coding knowledge but was able to figure out the RDP method in a day and crank out three channels that same week... 

Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: Use RDP to create custom (for sale) screensaver?

Screensavers are not possible, and paid is not possible with DP. As for custom coding/SDK?   I did a basic grid channel, it was 'fairly' moderate to do (limited coding abilities), but I'm not sure about screensavers. I wouldn't think all that hard, however if you're looking for 'paid', then yes it'll get complex. Payment API, multiple nodes etc.

0 Kudos
sattun
Roku Guru

Re: Use RDP to create custom (for sale) screensaver?

When it comes to Roku screensavers keep in mind the following:

- There is no user interaction
- You cannot use videos
- It's somewhat buggy

OTTfeed: Lease a custom Roku SDK for $99/month go to https://OTTfeed.com/lease
0 Kudos