Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FBCTroyTX
Reel Rookie

Refreshing Feed URL Interval

My apologies if this has been asked. I'm new to the forum, and from the searches I ran I didn't see anything definitive. How often does Roku refresh my channel's feed? We push through Vimeo and it seems to take an uncomfortable amount of time to refresh on the device. Is there a way to change that in the app settings or a way to force a manual update? My app has been published since last week. TIA.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: Refreshing Feed URL Interval

I think it re-crawls the feeds every 6-12 hours.

0 Kudos
mitchstein
Roku Guru

Going back to the early days of direct publisher:

Roku put's published channels into a que and they get checked in order of developers publishing. The que also contains the crawling of already published channels.

In my experience I have waited up to 4 hours for a published channel to populate. But most are within 20 minutes or faster..

http://www.TVByDemand.com
0 Kudos
FBCTroyTX
Reel Rookie

Thank you. Today seems to be the longest wait I've encountered so far. Our content was uploaded at noon CST and as of 9:30p I'm still waiting. We're using Vimeo to serve the feed. Someone had mentioned their feed can cause an issue or delay. Is there a preferred feed type? I honestly can't complain about a free service that I'm under zero obligation to use. Just trying to figure out faster ways of pushing updates.

0 Kudos
mitchstein
Roku Guru

The best feed type appears to be json... But you have to figure out how to code in json or purchase a program to do the coding for you, there is a really good one listed in th forums...

It takes them up to 6 hours (sometimes more) to parse a feed no matter wht the source is. It can be as fast as 2 minutes or I have seen as long as 12 hours. seems the average is getting longer and longer. However I have exerienced that if you submit your channel at like 3am (eastrn time) it goes thorugh much faster. Could have been coincidences but it just goes faster at those 'off hours".

http://www.TVByDemand.com
0 Kudos