Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TWiT
Binge Watcher

Random episodes missing, but no JSON errors

I launched our TWiT (This Week in Tech) channel about a month ago.  Since then, we've had four episodes from four different shows that have been added to the JSON file, but are not showing up in the channel after several days...even though newer episodes are there.  (So the channel HAS been updated...but it's skipping these episodes for some reason.)  There don't appear to be any JSON errors and I see no common thread between the episodes that are skipped.

Nothing with the automated generation of the JSON file has changed since we launched the channel.  The automated encoding and uploading of our video files has not changed in quite some time.

Anyone else seen this happen?  Know what causes it or how to fix it?

Here's the JSON for one of the episodes in question:

{
		"id": "821939",
		"title": "Celebrity Jeopardy in Heaven",
		"episodeNumber": 796,
		"content": {
			"dateAdded": "2020-11-09T01:13:49Z",
			"videos": [{
				"videoType": "MP4",
				"url": "https://chtbl.com/track/E91833/cdn.twit.tv/video/twit/twit0796/twit0796_h264m_1280x720_1872.mp4",
				"quality": "HD"
			}],
			"duration": 8206,
			"language": "en-us"
		},
		"thumbnail": "https://elroy.twit.tv/sites/default/files/images/episodes/821939/hero/twit796_thumb.jpg",
		"shortDescription": "Xbox Series X vs PS5, Biden & Tech, Apple Silicon",
		"longDescription": "Xbox Series X vs PS5, Biden & Tech, Apple Silicon",
		"releaseDate": "2020-11-09",
		"tags": [
			"TWiT",
			"This Week in Tech",
			"Leo Laporte",
			"Paris Martineau",
			"Devindra Hardawar",
			"Dan Moren",
			"Apple Event",
			"Apple Silicon",
			"apple silicon macbook",
			"Apple Intel",
			"apple silicon geekbench",
			"Animal Crossing",
			"mac gaming",
			"biden section 230",
			"biden tech",
			"biden tiktok",
			"biden net neutrality",
			"quibi dead",
			"how to make something go viral",
			"Apple Wondery",
			"baby shark youtube",
			"iphone 12 mini",
			"iphone 12 pro max",
			"xbox series x vs playstation 5",
			"prop 22",
			"prop 24",
			"massachusetts right-to-repair",
			"singles day 11/11",
			"raspberry pi 400"
		],
		"genres": [
			"technology",
			"news"
		]
	},
TWiT.tv - This Week in Tech
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Random episodes missing, but no JSON errors

If what you're showing is an actual Episode object, then you have a malformed JSON file.  The Episode object does not contain a 'tags' or ' genres' object.  You should refer to the Roku JSON Feed Schema document.

It's not a good idea to rely on JSON linters to check for errors.  They can't find logic errors.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
TWiT
Binge Watcher

I think the problem might have been over 600 episodes in the JSON file.  (22 shows with up to 50 episodes each.)  I've cut that back to a max of 25 for each show.  (They don't all have 25 yet, so we'll be well under the 600 threshold...which I didn't even realize was a thing until the last 24 hours.)

TWiT.tv - This Week in Tech
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

I don't know if that's accurate.  The only technical channel limitations I know of is:

• 25 categories (rows)
  • 40 items per category (row)

where an "item" may be a series with multiple episodes.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos