Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password protecting series / episodes (Direct Publish with a .json feed)

The company I work for has previously used InstantTV Channel to create a Roku channel, but this interface is clunky and bug-prone. It is also $50 / month.

Direct publishing via a .json feed seems very simple and, once the work is done, the feed can be directly generated from a DB with simple queries. Nice and easy and save $50 a month, AND get a better and more reliable interface.

One feature which I can't work out how to implement - restricted access to selected videos. Under InstantTV Channel, there is an option to set a password for a section of the channel; failure to input this means that section (and the series / videos inside it) cannot be accessed.

is there a way to do this with direct publisher and a .json file?

Or, alternatively, is there a way to make an entire channel "password protected" so that it can only be accessed by someone with the correct password (again, using direct publisher and .json)? In that case, I could simply create two channels - one for public content, one for the restricted content.

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: Password protecting series / episodes (Direct Publish with a .json feed)

Pretty sure DP doesn't support passwords. Supposedly it may be a feature in the future. 
0 Kudos

How would you recommend doing it and / or think InstantTV Channel does it so I can replicate it? If not Direct Publishing, would Custom SDK work?
0 Kudos

You can do that with the existing SDK but you can't do that (currently) with DP.  In the setup you cite with InstantTV, they have to be using the SDK not DP.
0 Kudos

I suspected as much. Is there a simple guide for using SDK you would recommend? The .json for DP is really, really easy . . . I'm hoping there is something just as simple for SDK 🙂
0 Kudos
Zelkowo
Visitor

Just to chime in, it would be a huge bonus if this feature was added to DPF.  From our end, it would be as simple as adding a "PIN" variable to the content object perhaps?

A simple use case:  I'm working with  a church to develop their presence on Roku.  They want the ability to provide live streaming to services and events without discouraging attendance.  In certain cases when folks are out of town, ill, disabled, etc, a unique pin will be provided to those who need it but not the general public.

kirkfulton

I'm interested in the same thing.

0 Kudos