Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trigold
Binge Watcher

Re: Feed Suddenly went down

Ditto, received the same message from Roku.

0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Same. Checked the channel, tried to update, resubmitted the feed. Still down. Hope within 1-2 days its resolved. 

0 Kudos
chucka84
Binge Watcher

My feed started successfully ingesting at around 4:30am today.  I added some content to my channel and it ingested successfully.  But here's the unfortunate kicker... even after updating the channel and updating the version on my device, all the new content that I added will not show up on my channel, even though it successfully ingested.

0 Kudos
lilfrankie7
Reel Rookie

l I'm not super confident that this Vimeo will ever get resolved. My OTT account tech said that they block videos from being shown outside of Vimeo unless you purchase their app developer package. I suspect they are doing the same thing with my PRO account but no one has gotten back to me about it yet. 

@IndieCentral Thinking of switching to JW player. Does the stream work with a free account or only a paid account? 

0 Kudos
lilfrankie7
Reel Rookie

This is what I received from Vimeo on April 4 but I haven't had the chance to try it yet. Has anyone heard if this works?

Megan D (Vimeo Support)

Apr 4, 5:37 AM EDT

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out and apologies for the delay in our response. We’ve experienced a high increase in support emails recently and we’re working hard to reply as soon as possible!

The error you're seeing is due to the links you're currently inputting. Please note that you'll need to use the direct/third party links instead. You can read more on this here: https://help.vimeo.com/hc/en-us/articles/224823567-Direct-links 

If you're still encountering issues after following these steps, please let us know along with a screenshot of the error that's occurring and we'll be happy to assist you further. Thank you for your help!

Sincerely,
Megan D

0 Kudos
IndieCentral
Channel Surfer

@lilfrankie7 wrote:

l I'm not super confident that this Vimeo will ever get resolved. My OTT account tech said that they block videos from being shown outside of Vimeo unless you purchase their app developer package. I suspect they are doing the same thing with my PRO account but no one has gotten back to me about it yet. 

@IndieCentral Thinking of switching to JW player. Does the stream work with a free account or only a paid account? 

I had a JW Player Business account.  That will give you 1TB of storage for $300/yr (you can find online coupons).  I reached out to them 3 times about their OTT solutions, but never received anything more than a canned email response. 

0 Kudos
chucka84
Binge Watcher

This was fixed a couple weeks ago and everything has been working good for me since.  I'm not sure what kind of problems you're still having @lilfrankie7 

0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

I dunno, Vimeo actively provides a JSON feed to people on Pro accounts. If they were adamantly against it, they wouldn't offer that. I don't know about you but there's posters here who don't code it at all, just copy & paste the Vimeo JSON feed & it works. I'd never heard of it until year or so ago.

Also, my feed/channel went down about 3 weeks ago, for nearly 2 weeks. Roku responded it was 'being looked into', and did eventually come back. However I had a pattern of submitting a new json feed url with each change, as opposed to just replacing the feeds content on my server. For years never had an issue, then last week, submitted my new feed with a few changes to add content, and suddenly it went down again. Ughh, been another week already. The fact they previously fixed it tells me it was a glitch they intended to address.

A few years ago, someone posted about being  kicked off Vimeo, for exceeding bandwidth limitations (if you search the forums you'll find it).  He admitted he had multiple channels on 1 account and never said how high, but that he conceded it was up there and that Vimeo had a case. They were fine to work with but ultimately he found a service cheaper than what Vimeo was willing to do it for, but they allowed him to keep his service up while he switched & even an overlap in case he switched back.  The fact they weren't abrupt with him & kicked him off immediately as a violation of TOS is somewhat telling. I think they claimed it was a bending of the rules though, but again, they're now providing json feed specifically for Roku DP & I think I saw Roku's logo on their site somewhere when I searched for it.

Over time, yeah, maybe its time to look elsewhere. Really tho technical glitches could happen to any of them.  I wonder if maybe with Covid & livestreaming Vimeo moved alot of VOD videos to other/older servers to make livestreaming more available, but the new setup doesn't allow for OTT/off-platform streaming. Doesn't explain how mine came back & went away tho, but something related like that.

0 Kudos
luiznicolau
Binge Watcher

What I don't understand is that this error only affects Direct Publisher channels, I have some SDK channels that use the same vimeo pro account and they are all ok, recently I created a channel on amazon also using the same link from vimeo and also the channels are live and being updated.
It may be a issue by vimeo, but I believe that Roku can also analyze and check their side, as this only happens with the direct publisher.

0 Kudos
luiznicolau
Binge Watcher

I already had a problem with vimeo once, they sent me an email that I had a very high traffic on external videos, and that I would have to pay more to continue or remove the videos, the problem is that they wanted to charge $8000.00 per year to continue, I found it very expensive, I had to relocate some accounts to be able to continue.

0 Kudos