Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeanLach
Roku Guru

Does Bitrate have to be exact?

Hi, I have several videos that have been submitted to our Film Festival, and I do not know the Bit Rate, aspect ratio, or Fps.  
(The filmmakers who submit content to our Fest know video particulars when they do their own editing.  But when they hire a video editor...all bets are off.)

So, I plan to first use a XML feed, and submit the MRSS to DP.  I plan to use DFP or another svc for VAST adverts.
Sometime in the future I'll convert the feed to JSON so that we may monetize with midroll ad-breaks. 

My question is...can I guesstimate the bitrate?  Or may I use a moderate bitrate like 1000Kbps or perhaps would a generic number "0" work??  (This is not an HLS stream, a typical film will look like this on our feed: http://some-random-video-cdn.com/mymovie.mp4)
Cut that Cable!
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: Does Bitrate have to be exact?

I don't think its needed. I'm using json & not reporting the bitrate
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

I've got a related post titled, "json video bitrate, required?". I've found that the spec states a bitrate is required even though it will accept zero.

Roku, what say you?
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
rovidx_media
Roku Guru

I don't think it matters, unless there is a format limitation that needs it.    It's probably good practice to at least get it close to the actual bitrate, but I don't think it makes much difference on DP.
Use Wordpress to power your Roku Direct Publisher (& other platforms) -> https://rovidx.com
0 Kudos
DeanLach
Roku Guru

Thank you.
Cut that Cable!
0 Kudos