Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spacehog
Streaming Star

Creating a live streaming Roku channel for people who don't know HTML

I'm in a tough situation because I have a server with more than enough storage space to do a 24/7 streaming channel, but I am lost without a map when it comes to coding. (I have zero knowledge of HTML or any other form of coding and instanttvchannel.com is almost impossible to work with.) I have much of the steps for the channel ready in Roku Developers, but can't get anything going to create my channel. Is there anyone here with experience with creating 24/7 streaming channels that can help me? 

Disclaimer: I am 100% new to this and have little to know understanding of coding so you'll have to be patient with me. 

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Creating a live streaming Roku channel for people who don't know HTML

@Spacehog  Unfortunately, you've got a pretty good learning curve ahead of you.  I'd suggest you start with the basics by taking a look at Building a Roku Channel.  You'll also need to become familiar with the Json syntax for building a feed file.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
Spacehog
Streaming Star

Hi @AaronMSpelling,

Since we're at square one, any and all help is appreciated. Even streaming for a few hours at a time is a good start. I'll message you as soon as I can. 

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

@Spacehog 

You don't really need to know HTML to prepare a channel.  That's the positive for using Direct Publisher.  All you need to do is create a "feed file" that defines your channel.

If you're still struggling with this, you may want to have a look at the FREE software I've made available below in my signature.  It includes a "wizard" that walks you through creating feed file items including a live stream.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
mitchstein
Roku Guru

I've been running an HLS live feed through roku for over 5 years now..

I can tell you this much, you do not need more then a couple gigs of drivespace on the hls server and that is with a full minute of buffering...

I've done live broadcasts from live events as well as prerecorded videos setup in a 24/7 stream using vmix for both..

Personally I think what you should do first is setup a mini channel with a couple videos on it, figure that out and then move up to a live stream...

Using the direct player it is as simply as writting a json file.. Search this forum for sample ones we all have written some for the newbies, cuse the docs are very difficult to follow...

Heres a link to one I posted before:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Direct-Publisher/Json-File-quot-Series-quot-sample-feed/m-p/42275...

if you need help with the json I'd be more then happy to help you out, just remember this, KISS --- Keep It Simple Stupid...

get one or to movies working then add other types of content, this way you'll get to understand what you need to do and will be easier to update in the future..

http://www.TVByDemand.com
g1nbctvllc
Reel Rookie

what would it take for your help joemqlik3d@g1nbc.us

0 Kudos
g1nbctvllc
Reel Rookie

sorry joemalik3d@g1nbc.us this is my email

0 Kudos
mitchstein
Roku Guru

send me a pm with an email addy to get a hold of you and i'll do what I can... Will probably have alot of xtra time now tha talmost everything is shut down.. lol

http://www.TVByDemand.com
WHmedia

Good morning all.

I am working on creating a Roku channel for our church's live stream. everything is good except the URL Feed. We use Vimeo to host all of our content to include a library of old messages. right now I'm just concerned with getting the live stream up so our older church congregants can watch with a relatively easy access point. I've been using direct publisher and the Roku integration that vimeo has. As of right now I'm stuck. Any help would be appreciated

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.39.11 AM.png

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

You should search this forum for posts related to Vimeo. There is an ongoing problem using Vimeo as a video host. I'd recommend Amazon S3.

0 Kudos