Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mkammes
Roku Guru

Re: Channels will not update

A known bug? 

I'd love more info.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

I don't think it's a coincidence that these problems started happening just about the time Roku released 9.3.  I tried a simple update to my feed, and it did not update.  I'm still running 9.2 and have checked updates every day.  It would be nice to know what release of the OS everyone is using.  It may not be related, but, experience tells me that when you change an OS, problems like this may happen.  That may explain Roku's reluctance to provide a better explanation to the cause of these problems.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
mosafer
Roku Guru

But my device has been updated 5/30 and everything was ok till 7/2. I don't think it's related to the OS.

0 Kudos
jsonnentag
Streaming Star

Just got this update and things are updated now - Re: Channels will not update

I just got this this morning and after checking it out the channel feed displayed is now updated to what it ought to be (for the first time in 1 week).

-----

Pam (Roku Partner Success)

Jul 9, 2020, 10:31 AM PDT
Hello,

Our engineering team identified an issue on our backend that processes Direct Publisher feeds, which had not been updated for the last seven days.

The issue has since been fixed and any content, categories, or other changes made in your feeds should now appear on-device.

I'll be closing out this ticket, but feel free to create a new ticket if you have any questions moving forward.

Best,
Pam

mkammes
Roku Guru

Re: Just got this update and things are updated now - Re: Channels will not update

I, too, just checked, and my channel changes have been rectified.

Thank you, Roku. While the amount of transparency and communication about this issue wasn't great, I appreciate you resolving it. Thank you.

0 Kudos
freetochoose
Streaming Star

Re: Just got this update and things are updated now - Re: Channels will not update

same here....... 2 weeks later lol. Better late than never I guess

0 Kudos

I'm still having the issue personally. When I change the branding (Search thumbnail, banner, and splash screen) it detects a change and performs an update but none of the content updates despite refreshing the feed. What's weird is the only thing that changes is the splash screen. The search thumbnail and banner do not change.

Tried system update and removing and readding the channel. This is an unpublished channel in preview mode if that makes a difference.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

I'm currently having the same issue.  I have been unable to update a channel regardless of what I do in the feed file, or, any changes through the developer portal.  The feed status shows no errors.  I've contacted Partner Success and will report back if anything comes of it.

The unstable nature of the Direct Publisher framework is getting really old...

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

@matthudgins I received a response from Partner Success. 

I was experiencing the same symptoms you were.  I had updated the feed file and made changes in the developer portal.  Nothing changed within the channel.

The support person told me they were able to see my feed updates.  So, I accidentally clicked on my channel and it let me download and install a copy of it.  I now have two of the same channels installed.  They have different versions and build numbers.  One contains the updates I've been making, the other does not.

I'm not sure how two of the same channels are allowed on the same machine.  I've asked Partner Succes to explain how this can occur.

This type of problem does not build confidence in the platform.

0 Kudos
fiftyplanotv
Reel Rookie

Sounds like the deployment process is not fully automated (probably some manual deployment pushes, based on the the comments in this thread). I am having update issues which shouldn't happen if the update issues were fixed this summer.

0 Kudos