Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BLComedy
Reel Rookie

Channels will not update

I'm taking a deep breath.  I must be missing something obvious.

I have 2 channels.

one has been around a few weeks - when I started i could make updates to the JSON and it would show up.. within an hour to 2 days (wtf..).  But at least I could see changes.

Now - it's been since last week - and the changes still do not show up.

The preview does not match what shows up on the device.

I have tried every version of system update, unplugging it for hours, remove /add channel. etc.

I'm more than a little irritated at this point.  

I also have another channels I was putting a quick test of a live feed into.

that channel - even **bleep**ing worse.

i've gone through 8 different JSON files (with 8 different names).

tried system updates, etc...

I've deleted the channel and remade it as a new one 2-3 times.

Never changes.

WTF do i have to do to get my JOSN changes to appear real-time? 

And this isn't just me - 2 other people verified the channel is still the old version on their devices.

Preview ChannelPreview ChannelChannel on RokuChannel on RokuQuick test Channel PreviewQuick test Channel PreviewQuick test ChannelQuick test Channel

34 REPLIES 34
mkammes
Roku Guru

Re: Channels will not update

FWIW, I'm seeing the same issues. My test channel preview (as you call it) has the same issue: Search, About, and a blank (non-selectable) thumbnail.

Preview and Update shows the changes to the JSON file (in Preview), but the Channel does not update on the Roku unit.

This includes:

Manually forcing an update (no updates).

Removing the channel, re-adding the channel.

Restarting the unit.

Having a valid or invalid feed validation

changing graphics to ensure a change would be seen.

Nothing.

Going on for about 5 hours now.

0 Kudos
mkammes
Roku Guru

It's been submitted....so now, we wait.

freetochoose
Streaming Star

same thing going on here. I thought I was going crazy. Haven't seen my channel update since the middle of last week!

freetochoose
Streaming Star

I sent issue to support..... now we wait I guess

Baradanikto
Roku Guru

I went back through my Partner Success activities and found a ticket I had submitted that sounds very much like the symptoms reported here.  I reported a problem in which my channel would not update and only displayed a search icon.

When I click to open the second channel, I see a brief display
of the channel items.  They disappear quickly and I'm left with a search
(icon) button as the only thing showing in the channel.  I believe the
search button was newly added as part of the recent firmware upgrade. 

I had traced it back to a firmware update from October to November 2019.  I followed up with a similarly related problem and received the following reply.

Jen
5 months ago
Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. The FW bug should be fixed last week, but please try the instructions below:

In order for these changes to take effect, please complete the following:
Navigate to Manage My Channels > Preview and Update for the affected channel(s).
Go to any page in the Preview and Publish dropdown (e.g. Properties, Feed URL, Branding, etc) and click the Save button at the bottom of the selected page.
Go to the Preview and Publish page and click Update.
Wait 3-4 hours for the changes to ingest.
Repeat Steps 1-4 for any of the affected channels.
Your channel(s) should now be updated to reflect your latest feed version.

If you encounter any issues after completing the steps above and waiting the allotted time, we often recommend waiting a total of 24 hours. If after that time period you are still not seeing the issue resolve itself, please do not hesitate to contact Partner Success.

I don't know if this will help, but, if you haven't tried the steps above, please try.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
mkammes
Roku Guru

Thanks!

Perhaps I'm daft - or this is only for PUBLISHED channels, but where on the "Publish and Publish" page is there an update button?

I have "click the link below to add a channel to your account"

and

"Schedule Publishing".

"Update" only seems to be present when the channel is published (I verified with another published channel)

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

@mkammes You may have stumbled onto something.  Perhaps the steps will not work on an unpublished channel.  Updating a channel may force an event within DP that infuses the new Roku code for your channel.  It's pure speculation on my part, but, it would not surprise me if updating triggers the "fix".

Additionally, I believe you need to visit a page within your dashboard and make a change before the Update button becomes available.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
mkammes
Roku Guru

FWIW, the issue is still happening, as I can verify given the "version" of the channel on Roku vs the version as defined on my DP channel.

I did follow your instructions and even refreshed the feed *and* even changed the layout from Hero to Standard - just to *try* and force some changes.  No dice.

I really hate to blindly point at Roku and cast blame, but I can't find anything else on my end, and nothing that would manifest the same issue with others on this thread.

0 Kudos
freetochoose
Streaming Star

i did the same... I changed a couple things and hit save. I pushed a new feed with a different name. Still no updates (after 9 days)

0 Kudos