Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mkammes
Roku Guru

BIF and SRT/VTT support?

Hello all:

Has anyone had any luck with channels using Direct Publisher being able to display BIF files or CC files (SRT or VTT)?

I ingest them fine via FEED STATUS, and all of the files have correct R/W permissions (housed in the same place as the media and image files).

I've tried housing them on 2 different servers (Amazon S3, as well as my webserver) with no luck.

Anyone?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: BIF and SRT/VTT support?

I have successfully used an SRT file from my JSON feed. The feed is stored with the file on S3 via CloudFront.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
mkammes
Roku Guru

"Baradanikto" wrote:
I have successfully used an SRT file from my JSON feed. The feed is stored with the file on S3 via CloudFront.

That's encouraging...thanks.
Anyone else?
0 Kudos
jtalbott
Visitor

I'm attempting to use an SRT stored on S3 as well. It seems like ROKU recognizes the file is there (when I click * it comes up that there is an english closed caption file available) however I have yet to see the actual words appear on the screen. Not sure if I'm missing something...
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

My SRT still works from S3. The video has a French speaker. I set my Roku settings to "closed captioning" = on always, and, "captioning track" = English. I can now see the English translation at the bottom of the screen.

Make sure your SRT file is publicly accessible.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
rovidx_media
Roku Guru

Same here, works fine from S3, though I do route mine via CloudFront.
Use Wordpress to power your Roku Direct Publisher (& other platforms) -> https://rovidx.com
0 Kudos
mkammes
Roku Guru

All is working now, for me, so it DOES work.
0 Kudos
jtalbott
Visitor

"jtalbott" wrote:
I'm attempting to use an SRT stored on S3 as well. It seems like ROKU recognizes the file is there (when I click * it comes up that there is an english closed caption file available) however I have yet to see the actual words appear on the screen. Not sure if I'm missing something...

I found my problem, it had nothing to do with ROKU. We had our caption timestamps off by an hour! and on a 28 minute show, you'll never even see the first caption.  :roll:
0 Kudos