Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jleslie48
Level 8

who broke roku media player and how do I roll back?

What happened?    It updated, its now broke and I can't roll back to the working version?

It worked fine before:  click on the "replay" button icon when you were on a folder, and it would play everything in that folder FOREVER.  

That was exactly what I wanted, that was perfect where is that functionality now????   I want my scuba video's that are on a USB stick playing 24 hours a day 7 days a week unless I manually turn it off.    Can I have that functionality back please?

Labels (2)
12 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: who broke roku media player and how do I roll back?

No, you can't roll a channel back. Roku is getting a lot of flak about this release, so I expect they will be working quickly to make some updates. I believe you will still get continuous playback, or at least until everything in that particular folder is played. I've not let mine run that long, so can't say for sure if it continues without end. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jleslie48
Level 8

I don't get it.   I want that folder to play 24x7   no questions asked until I turn it off. Why in god's name would they break that?    Am I the only one in the world that wants there home movies continually running on the screen?

atc98092
Level 21

@jleslie48 wrote:

I don't get it.   I want that folder to play 24x7   no questions asked until I turn it off. Why in god's name would they break that?    Am I the only one in the world that wants there home movies continually running on the screen?

Honestly, you are probably in a pretty small group. There's another user unhappy that they play one after another, so the opposite of what you want. 

That said, they do have issues with the new player. Some of the functions it is supposed to have (turn off auto-play) aren't working. The screensaver isn't working correctly. And of course there's numerous issues with the user interface. But I do know that Roku is listening to these reports and will get them addressed. But I don't know how long it might take. Some stuff will be easy, while others might be more difficult. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jleslie48
Level 8

seems pretty crazy to me.   anyone who is used to vlc player would be shocked at how stupid this app is.   these were features (both mine and the other guys,) available for over a decade already.   its shocking how incredibly amateur this app is. 

atc98092
Level 21

I like VLC for playback on a computer, but I have it on my Shield and it's user interface is terrible. It's a great, capable player. But not at all friendly for streaming from a DLNA source. Really doesn't have a good UI for streaming players in my opinion.

Dan
0 Kudos
gentleman23
Level 8

Not sure if this is affecting the auto-play issue, but I noticed that on the settings screen, to get the setting to take, you have to click on the OK button at the bottom, which, bafflingly, looks exactly like just another setting. What were they thinking?

jleslie48
Level 8

I'm not interested in auto-play.   I'm interested in "NOT auto-stop-playing".    when I hi-light a folder, and click on the remote button that is the "replay" button (it looks like an arrow circling around on itself,) the functionality used to be that that folder would play all the video's in that folder FOREVER AND NEVER STOP.  I LIKED THAT.   play one video, then the next, and the next, and when you get to the last video start from the top and do it again.   this functionality was there 3 days ago, and now its gone.   I want it back. 

Psilobite
Level 11

@atc98092 wrote:

That said, they do have issues with the new player. Some of the functions it is supposed to have (turn off auto-play) aren't working. The screensaver isn't working correctly. And of course there's numerous issues with the user interface. But I do know that Roku is listening to these reports and will get them addressed. But I don't know how long it might take. Some stuff will be easy, while others might be more difficult. 

I know you are a very respected poster here and you do what you can to act as "diplomat" for Roku, but I am sorry, this is a COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE SITUATION. COMPLETELY.

It was absolutely 100% wrong of them to push this update out NOW, with the player in THIS state. It's not like these are just customers who are resistant to change and will "get used" to the new look over time... the player has SERIOUSLY REDUCED functionality over the player it replaced.

If Roku is not going to roll the player back (AGAIN) to its original version until functionality is restored, then the ORIGINAL 100% WORKING player needs to IMMEDIATELY be added back as a SEPARATE installable channel as "Roku Media Player Classic".

It is simply 100% WRONG of Roku to expect their loyal customer base to "just live" with this level of lost functionality, ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING that unlike Fire users, Roku users don't have a choice for a DLNA client, and also ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING that their customer base is already shaken over the inability to have access to a new major channel (HBO Max).

makaiguy
Level 20

@atc98092 wrote:

No, you can't roll a channel back. Roku is getting a lot of flak about this release, so I expect they will be working quickly to make some updates. I believe you will still get continuous playback, or at least until everything in that particular folder is played. I've not let mine run that long, so can't say for sure if it continues without end. 

Yeah, that's what we thought when we had their previous attempt at releasing an update to RMP.  As you know, they had to withdraw it and return to the previous version.  Now it's back with little if anything fixed that I can tell.  Last time the complaint that got people screaming the loudest was inability to run videos from a USB device attached to an Ultra (the only model offering this option).  So far I'm not seeing a chorus of these complaints so maybe they DID fix that one (don't have an Ultra so I don't know one way or the other), but I'm not seeing much else changed, if anything.

I have a few minor complaints I can probably live with.  My big one is this: I like to view a folder of photos on my computer as a continuous slide show.  It drops back to a screen saver after just a few minutes (haven't timed it) without input from the remote, making the whole thing useless.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos