Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EFGDEG
Channel Surfer

streamstick+ firmware version 10 manual update?

I have a brand new streamstick+ EU model. Unfortunately i cannot use it because it has no mirroring functionality - and i need it for apps like vidangel (The Chosen App).

After discussing this problem here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Vidangel-not-on-Roku/m-p/677246#M74995

... there was the hint that Roku version 10.XX will solve this. When i click on update i get no new version (stuck at 9.4.0). 

Can i push the update to 10.XX somehow manually?

Kind regards
Christoph Busch

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: streamstick+ firmware version 10 manual update?

No. Well, maybe. Roku would have to intervene. There is no regular user option to force the update to 10.0. The device will get it when it gets it.

That device, the Roku Streaming Stick+, should already have mirroring functionality with 9.4 already. An update shouldn't matter. I think your best bet would be to find out why mirroring isn't working.

If you're using an Android phone, it may be that your phone and Android OS version don't support Miracast, which is the mirroring option for Android devices. For iPhones, it's AirPlay 2 which has fewer problems, mostly because all the phones are made by the same company.

If you're using Android, I'm going to be no help.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
EFGDEG
Channel Surfer

Hi DBDukes,
thanks for helping me again. I tried it with my current model Android phone (Version 11 RKQ1.200826.002) and with a new Ipad air model - all up to date. Same behavior. 

I bought a Amazon Firestick and it worked right out of the box like i expected it (unfortunately it couldn't stream subtitle which made it for no use as well). So it really looks like a Roku problem. 

Vidangel wrote i should look for the menu "control by mobile apps" which is not available on my streamstick+ (that's why i thought there is no mirroring functionality). 

Greetings Christoph

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@EFGDEG wrote:

Hi DBDukes,
thanks for helping me again. I tried it with my current model Android phone (Version 11 RKQ1.200826.002) and with a new Ipad air model - all up to date. Same behavior. 

I bought a Amazon Firestick and it worked right out of the box like i expected it (unfortunately it couldn't stream subtitle which made it for no use as well). So it really looks like a Roku problem. 

Vidangel wrote i should look for the menu "control by mobile apps" which is not available on my streamstick+ (that's why i thought there is no mirroring functionality). 

Greetings Christoph

Its not clear whether you are trying to mirror (remote display - global/device OS) from your phone(s) using the built-in mirroring functionality (e.g. Samsung SmartView, Apple Control Center) or cast (remote control - local/in app) from within an app (e.g. Vidangel).

You seem to be conflating the two idea/processes.

Roku supports DIAL (casting) Miracast (mirroring) and AirPlay (casting & mirroring).

There are two ways (using different protocols/settings) to mirror:

1) "Screen mirroring" = Miracast (Settings/System/Screen mirroring😞  Windows/Android

2) "AirPlay" = AirPlay (Settings/Apple Airplay & HomeKit😞  Apple

You should see both of those in your Roku UI - if you dont see either, you wont be able to mirror.  If you see one but not the other, you'll only be able to use the one you see.

Miracast uses WiFi Direct, which in Roku devices is referred to as "Device Connect" (Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Device connect)  However, streaming stick models don't have this option since Device Connect is always enabled for them (they always use WiFi Direct for their remote control).

"Control by mobile apps" (Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Control by mobile apps) by default allows access to the device via mobile apps, but OS 9.4 and OS10 have a bug which causes this setting to always be enabled ("default") even when disabled, so it wont matter in your case.

So that takes you back to the two initial options/settings - either your Roku has them or it doesnt.

You havent provided enough information about your Roku's current settings/configuration or about your phone(s) (brand/model/software version/app or function used), or how you are trying to connect the phone(s) to the Roku (Are you mirroring using the phone(s) mirroring function, or are you casting using an apps casting function?)

(FYI: As far as the Amazon Firestick goes, it uses Miracast as well (no AirPlay natively), but it is NOT enabled by default out of the box (it used to be years ago) - it has to be manually enabled each time to use, so while I'm sure it did work, it didnt work "out of the box", unless you have an older FS with very old firmware.)

EFGDEG
Channel Surfer

Dear @DBDukes 
thank you for your detailed reply. Yesterday Roku wrote:

Dear Roku Customer, Your Roku streaming player was incorrectly configured during initial set-up. We apologize for the inconvenience and will correctly configure your streaming player in the coming 48 hours.

Your home screen will be repopulated with the available channels you had installed, to add additional channels please visit the Channel Store. If you would like to reorder the channels on your home screen, please check-out this how-to-guide.

Today i tested the device and i was able to connect to add the Vidangel channel. So whatever they did - it worked 🙂