Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

streaming to a macbook? (not from)

I know, weird, right?

I have some guests coming and plan to have an older MacBook Pro for them to use while they're with me. My guest room doesn't have its own TV, so I thought it would be good if they could access my Netflix and Amazon Prime content via Roku. That would be easier and safer than me giving them my passwords to Netflix and Amazon to access via browser. I know Roku wasn't built for this purpose, but is there an easy way to do it? I have a Roku 1 and a Roku 2 laying around that I thought I could use. 

My guests could sign into their own Netflix/Amazon accounts, but I'm not sure they have both.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: streaming to a macbook? (not from)

No, there isn't. Roku players can only output via HDMI, or a few that had composite outputs. It isn't capable of sending any stream back out via a network connection. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

Okay, it was a shot. Thanks for the info.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 9

That would be easier and safer than me giving them my passwords to Netflix and Amazon to access via browser.

You might try just signing into Netflix and Amazon on the MacBook they're going to use and have whatever browser you're using save the passwords. As far as I know there's no way to see the saved passwords in Safari or Chrome without knowing your user password, not sure about Firefox since it's been a while since I've used it, so that way they could just use the saved passwords to log in without you giving them out.
0 Kudos

That's a good idea for Netflix. If they're pranksters, they could order some interesting items to be delivered to me from Amazon. Might be worth it just to see what they come up with. Maybe that excellent banana slicer...
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 9

Ha, didn't even think of that (obviously), and now that I am thinking, if it's an older MacBook it may not have a current enough version of Safari to encrypt passwords, have no idea about Chrome, so probably best to just ignore my suggestion completely.
0 Kudos