Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MMIIKKEE
Level 7

stores confused on Roku capablities

I have a very good, very expensive 1080P 3D 50 inch TV so I asked the store which Roku unit would handle 1080P. I have zero 4K content

They told me that out of the two currently available devices, both units support 1080P while the ROKU Streaming 4K Smart TV Stick will also handle 4K

Roku documentation does not mention HEVC or H265; It only ever says 4K (

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products

) and then only "Picture quality (on compatible TVs)".

So I purchased several of the less expensive Roku Express's as the highest quality content any of us has is 1080P.

I now find out that it doesn't matter what the definition of the content is (1080P v 4K, as Roku literature states), it is the encoding that makes the difference between which Roku is needed

So I now have 1080P encoded as H265 that I can not stream to the Roku.

I will not be investing in a more powerful server hosts to transcode,  I will be returning all of the Rokus to the store.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: stores confused on Roku capablities

"MMIIKKEE" wrote:
I will not be investing in a more powerful server hosts to transcode, I will be returning all of the Rokus to the store.

Probably a good idea.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

All of the 4K Roku players can handle H.265 without transcoding. It doesn't matter what the actual video resolution is. I place very little faith in almost any retail electronics store having that sort of knowledge. And if it's more like a Walmart or other mega store, they wouldn't have a clue. The Roku Express was not the correct choice, as you have found. And the Express isn't even the most recent generation of player. You need either the Streaming Stick+ (model 3810), Premiere (3920), Premiere+ (3921) or Ultra (4660/4661). Depending on your audio codec in use, you might need to transcode the audio, but that takes very little computer power. I have 1080p and 2160p media that needs audio transcoding, and my CPU use rarely reaches 20% while transcoding. With video transcoding,  it will be near 100% the entire time. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"atc98092" wrote:
All of the 4K Roku players can handle H.265 without transcoding. It doesn't matter what the actual video resolution is. I place very little faith in almost any retail electronics store having that sort of knowledge. And if it's more like a Walmart or other mega store, they wouldn't have a clue. The Roku Express was not the correct choice, as you have found. And the Express isn't even the most recent generation of player. You need either the Streaming Stick+ (model 3810), Premiere (3920), Premiere+ (3921) or Ultra (4660/4661). Depending on your audio codec in use, you might need to transcode the audio, but that takes very little computer power. I have 1080p and 2160p media that needs audio transcoding, and my CPU use rarely reaches 20% while transcoding. With video transcoding,  it will be near 100% the entire time. 

In the U.K. his only other option will be the Stick+
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

He didn't mention his location, but I now do see the web page link he posted is for GB. Sorry I missed that. Still, the store obviously has no clue about what they're selling.  :roll:
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
MMIIKKEE
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:

Yes I agree about the stores BUT I would have thought that Roku would know the difference between " resolution" and "encoding".   Apparently not. They only define the devices in terms of 4K or not 4K. There is absolutely no mention of video codecs in any of their sales and marketing material. So I bought the non 4K-units as I have no 4K content

and The Express is the latest generation. DBDukes is correct......there are only two units available in the UK and the other is the  4K Smart TV Stick (aka Streaming Stick+)
Roku have the annoying habit of naming units differently in different countries

I will be asking the store to replace the Rokus with Fire Sticks. The 4K Fire Sticks are just a few dollars more than the non-4K, and some of the time non-1080P , Express (Roku's other annoying habit is that their UK prices are twice, yes double, the US price) Amazon have a more global pricing structure
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Yeah, I missed that you are in the UK. That absolutely makes a difference in what is considered the current generation. I can understand your decision to move the the Fire Stick.
But Roku does have a good web page that describes what they support: https://support.roku.com/article/208754908-how-to-use-roku-media-player-to-play-your-videos-music-an... I see they only mention 4K when they say what supports H.265, but I am certain they will play 1080 H.265 as well. But that page is a little lacking in its information as well, since the Ultra, Streaming Stick+ and Premiere+ all now also support H.262/MPEG-2 video. 
Dan
0 Kudos
MMIIKKEE
Level 7

Thanks for your help Dan

The ability to deal with, or not,  H265 should be in the specifications. But Roku insist on referring only to 4K. They are not the same thing. One is encoding the other is resolution

I am not sure how many prospective Roku owners will accidentally or even deliberately  find their way to https://support.roku.com/article/208754908-how-to-use-roku-media-player-to-play-your-videos-music-an...      it is very well hidden, ambiguous and is the only documentation that I can find in the entirety of Roku.com that even mentions H265

So I can not blame the store or it's salesman for, after my statement of "I only need 1080P", selling me the Express.

Does Roku ever read these?

Again, thanks for your replies
0 Kudos
2pints
Level 7

As far as the UK side of things goes, Roku is only worth it if you want Now TV, all the mainstream stuff ( with the exception of Now TV/Sky)  and much much more is available on Amazons fire TV systems, thanks to the ability to side load android apps - there should eb plenty of media servers/streamers out there and add things such as ethernet dongles.
 Rokus UK presence is not much more than a slight afterthought, most people will be accessing on demand content via a Smart TV , none of which run Roku software ( unlike the US)

So unless you really want Now TV, as well as Amazon prime video on one unit avoid Roku, and go for Fire TV. If Roku supported the UK market a little better things may be different
0 Kudos
MMIIKKEE
Level 7

I hear what you are saying 2pints

I am responsible for several A/V installations

They are all Roku/Plex based

Now, with Plex shooting itself in both feet with the latest (enforced) 'update', and Roku being a little 'ambiguous' over it's capabilities, after Xmas they will all be Emby on Firesticks

My only concern, that I am currently investigating, is that somebody told me that I will need an account with Amazon involving credit card details.  
This is a non-starter as I have absolutely no requirements to purchase any further Amazon products and a couple of the users do not have credit cards anyway

I just need it to acess Netflix (we all have accounts), stream from our local servers (was Plex, will be Emby) and be able to access BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 and My 5 (we have accounts for all of these). Nothing that will require any payments.

Nobody but nobody gets my bank details unless I am purchasing something. Microsoft, Google, Apple, Skype and the rest do not have my real name, my real postal address, my real telephone number or my real email address. The only people that have these are Netflix and Paypal for obvious reasons.

UPDATE

I just created a fake amazon account that only asked for an email address. It has not asked me for payment options. I will get myself one Firestick to make sure that I can link it
0 Kudos