Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gcdog
Reel Rookie

sd card type for roku 3

Jump to solution

I tried to install a 64gb micro sdxc card into my roku 3, nothing happens in fact it will freeze the screen where the remote wont work, anybody have any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gcdog
Reel Rookie

Re: sd card type for roku 3

Jump to solution

thanks much, I found a 256 mega bite sd card, I put that one in, and it worked, it says only 7 % used .2 g left, I think I will just stick with that unless I get another message saying to add another card.  thanks again!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

There's no need for an SD card any larger than 4 GB, because the rest won't be used. All the SD card does is provide additional memory for storing the channels/apps you have loaded on your Roku. If you don't have a card, and run out of memory, the Roku simply unloads the least used channel and installed the new one. At the worst, it might take an extra 10-15 seconds to reload that channel if you want to use it. Overall, the SD card isn't really worth the effort. And so many people have had trouble booting their Roku players with an SD card inserted, I wouldn't bother. 

It doesn't make the player itself any faster, you can't store or download any videos, and you can't play anything from the card if you load it in advance. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
gcdog
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

thanks much, I found a 256 mega bite sd card, I put that one in, and it worked, it says only 7 % used .2 g left, I think I will just stick with that unless I get another message saying to add another card.  thanks again!

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

Something to tuck away in your bag of tricks:

If you ever get a problem when booting up your Roku that it gets to the dancing R O K U letters but doesn't go beyond there, try powering down and removing the SD card.  If the card gets corrupted it can cause the freeze.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

Jump to solution

@gcdog 

I have a Sandisk 64GB Micro SD Card that I inserted into my Roku Premier+. The Roku gave me an error in formatting the card. I searched Google and found the below fix of re-naming the Drive Letter, after changing the Drive Letter I inserted the Card into my Premier+ and it saw the Card right from the start this time and it works fine. I'll include the instructions below and the website where I found them. I accomplished the below on my laptop Windows 10 Pro...FYI...

How can I fix a memory card that Cannot be formatted?
To do this, here is the procedure:
  1. Connect the won't format SD card to PC.
  2. Right-click on This PC/My Computer> Manage > Disk Management.
  3. Locate and right-click on SD card, select Change drive letter, and paths.
  4. Re-select a new drive letter for your SD card and click OK to confirm.
May 9, 2020

2020 Solved: Unable to Format SD Card, SD Card Won't Format On...

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

You're wasting a card that size on your Roku. It won't use more than 3-4 GB at most. Some has said 2 GB is the limit of what it can use. 

Dan

0 Kudos
josta3

Jump to solution

On my Roku 5000 I got an Onn 32GB from WalMart, plugged it in and the screen says "MicroSD card detected" with the "Format " or "Cancel" option.  But I'm not able to move the highlighted bar from "Cancel" to "Format"; in fact the screen freezes.  Help!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@josta3 wrote:

On my Roku 5000 I got an Onn 32GB from WalMart, plugged it in and the screen says "MicroSD card detected" with the "Format " or "Cancel" option.  But I'm not able to move the highlighted bar from "Cancel" to "Format"; in fact the screen freezes.  Help!

I don't know what you mean by Roku 5000. I believe that series is a Roku TV model number, and I wasn't aware of any Roku TV having an SD card slot. Please confirm your Roku model number. 

Dan

0 Kudos
josta3

Jump to solution

Thank you Dan, sorry; it says "2" on the top of the case so must be Roku 2 then.

John

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@josta3 wrote:

Thank you Dan, sorry; it says "2" on the top of the case so must be Roku 2 then.

John

Unfortunately, there are five different models of Roku 2 players, although the XS an HD I think have them embossed on the case. So, even if we're talking about the most recent version, that's the 4210, which was released over 5 years ago. I can't say for certain, but I don't think players that old support that large of an SD card. From what I've read, the Roku can't use much more than about 2 GB of whatever card you do use, so a 32 GB card is severe overkill. I wouldn't try anything larger than 8 GB.

And to be honest, even if your Roku 2 is the 4210, it's still extremely under powered compared to the latest players, and it's possible that newer channels are not going to work well on it, assuming they work at all. If your Roku 2 is older than the 4210, it is no longer officially supported by Roku, and many channels already won't work on it. I suggest you consider it time for an upgrade. 

Dan

0 Kudos