Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

roku ultra w 9.4.1 tells my 4k TV that input is 4k when it is not

I have a Roku Ultra running 9.4.1, connected to a Sony XBR 49-x800e TV, which supports 4k HDR. The Roku plays 4k input (from Disney+, say) just fine.  BUT, with input that is NOT 4k, like an old movie, my TV claims (when I push the display button) that the input is still 4k. 

One explanation is that the input really is 4k, when I think it is not.  But I don't think so.  I am playing Netflix, and I do not have a 4k account.  Also, I tried playing It's a Wonderful Life (B&W, 40s) from Vimeo, which is surely not 4k.  Nevertheless, the TV says it is 4k.

Another explanation is that the TV is showing the wrong thing,  But I can connect my BluRay player to the TV, and play a BluRay disc, and the TV says correctly that the input is 1080p.  This suggests that the problem is in the Roku Ultra.

Another explanation is that the Roku Ultra is doing upscaling, and sending the TV 4k input.  I am guessing that the Roku does not do this.

I suspect that the Roku is telling the TV that the input is 4K, when it is not, but then somehow they agree on what is being sent, so that the TV can display it anyway.  Does anyone have any more information here?  I would like to be able to tell what kind of input my Roku is sending to my TV.

BTW, I have tried setting the display type (in Roku Settings) to Auto, and also to 4K HDR.  The problem occurs on both settings.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 21

Re: roku ultra w 9.4.1 tells my 4k TV that input is 4k when it is not

All Roku devices will upscale any content that is lower resolution than what the Roku display setting is. So if the content is DVD quality (480/540), it will be upscaled to the display setting in the Roku menu. If the setting is 720p/1080p/4K, it is upscaled to that level. Roku devices do not have image resolution matching. Even a player as expensive as the Nvidia Shield does not do it, although some apps have the ability within them, such as Kodi or Plex.

You Blu Ray player outputs the resolution of whatever disc you are playing, so a 1080 disc is at that resolution.

There is nothing wrong with the Roku. That's simply the way they all work. Perhaps it's better to not think of it as upscaling, as it certainly doesn't have a super high quality upscaler. But it outputs 4K to your display regardless of the source material.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks for the reply, which makes perfect sense.  But how can I tell whether the input to the Roku is 720/1080/4k or whatever?  Will the Roku tell me this somehow, or do I have to glean this from the source of the data (like Netflix or Vimeo)?  I ask because I occasionally want to know whether my 4k TV is showing a source that is "really" 4k (ie, with no upscaling). 

0 Kudos
Level 21

@HalPri wrote:

Thanks for the reply, which makes perfect sense.  But how can I tell whether the input to the Roku is 720/1080/4k or whatever?  Will the Roku tell me this somehow, or do I have to glean this from the source of the data (like Netflix or Vimeo)?  I ask because I occasionally want to know whether my 4k TV is showing a source that is "really" 4k (i.e. with no upscaling). 

From a Roku? No, there is no way to determine the source resolution. I'm not aware of any other device that would report that info either. When I'm streaming fr.om my home media server, both Kodi and Plex will show the native resolution, but nothing for online sources. Of course, some sites will advise if it's SD/HD/UHD resolution, but that's the extent of what might be available. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos