Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brewmaster931
Reel Rookie

roku ultra streaming device

I've been using a roku ultra streaming device for the last few month's with not problems. I have it wired to my wireless router. Today we installed a roku 720p tv and it hooks up wonderfully to my network but when I connect it to the roku ulta the menu comes up and it just beeps at me when I attempt to change to a different screen or channel. Is the 720 not compatible with the roku ultra? or is something else going on? The tv we were using was an old set manufactured in 2010 and had no problems with the signal from the streaming device. 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: roku ultra streaming device

@brewmaster931 

It is possible the Roku is not set to Auto for the resolution. The menu has traditionally been 720p, but that may have changed. If it's configured to another resolution, that might be what's going on, although I'm not confident with this.

However, if you can connect it to another TV and check the resolution settings, and put it on Auto, or actually set it to 720p before you put it back on the new TV, that might solve it, or rule that out as the cause.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
brewmaster931
Reel Rookie

Nope that didn't do it. Thanks

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Just to make sure I'm following:

You have a Roku TV with another Roku attached to it.  You select the HDMI input using the Roku TV remote.  Then you see the attached Roku. But when you try to control it – you just get beeps – right?  But which remote are you using at this point?  The attached Roku remote or the Roku TV remote?

0 Kudos
brewmaster931
Reel Rookie

I tried both remotes and neither one worked, I think there is something amiss with the HDMI input on the tv. I put the old tv back in place and every thing worked like it should. The new tv is going back to the store

0 Kudos
atc98092

It's certainly possible you encountered a bad TV. The first 720p Insignia Roku TV I picked up (a long time ago) set up OK, but then was stuck in an update loop. I took it back to the store and grabbed another one, it's it's worked fine ever since. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Bear1234

Do any of you know how I can stream movies at 720 rather than the "auto" mode?  Is there a device I can purchase? I have a TCL TV and was told that you can not adjust the streaming mode and it will stream whatever the movie is at 1080, etc.  I have limited Internet Bandwidth and need to slow down the movies.

0 Kudos
atc98092

You can manually set your screen resolution to 720 (under Settings/Display),  but I can't say for certain that will reduce the bitrate of the video stream. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos