Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lfayb
Level 8

roku models

I see people referring to roku 2  or roku 3,  but I do  not remember seeing them called this when shippong for them.  What do these refer to?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: roku models

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison The 2 and 3 are much older (2nd and 3rd) generations. The 4 was the last one that used a numerical model name. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Re: roku models

"lfayb" wrote:
I see people referring to roku 2  or roku 3,  but I do  not remember seeing them called this when shippong for them.  What do these refer to?

And therein lies a tale. Here's the Cliff Notes version: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku

Roku has been making devices for over a decade. All devices have both a name and a model number. Sometimes, the same name is given to different model numbers. Usually, it's an upgrade to the device/name. There was this one instance where the model number was given to two different names, but that's very unusual.

The Roku 2 name actually refers to two different models: 2720 and 4210. They are drastically different boxes. Oh, and if you didn't already figure it out, there was also a Roku 1.

To make it even more confusing, the Roku 1, Roku 2 (both models), the Roku 3 (both models) were third-generation devices. See the previously linked Wikipedia page.

The first Roku 2 --

Actually, we need to pause here. There were some second generation devices that had "Roku 2" in the name -- for example, the Roku 2 HD, the Roku 2 XD, and the Roku 2 XS -- but no second generation device was called simply "Roku 2" with no additional suffix.

The first Roku 2, model 2720, was simply a Roku 1 (model 2710) with some additional components to allow for a WiFi Direct remote (meaning wireless listening). The Roku 1 only worked with an IR remote. As for the steaming parts, the Roku 2 (2710) was on par with the Roku 1, and vastly inferior to the Roku 3 (model 4200).

Then, Roku introduced a new Roku 2, model 4210. It was the same as a Roku 3 (4230). Exactly the same. Seriously. The only difference was the price ($20 cheaper) and the box included an IR remote. If, though, you added a Roku 3 remote, you effectively had a Roku 3. Which I did. I bought a Roku 2 (4210) and a Roku 3 remote, saved 1 cent (Roku 2 model 4210 at $79.99 + fancy remote at $19.99 = $99.98 versus Roku 3 at $99.99), and had a spare IR remote to boot.

Anyway, when they upgraded the Roku 2 (4210) they also upgraded the Roku 3 slightly (4230, mentioned earlier). There was no discernible difference between the 4200 and the 4230. Voice support, I believe.

So, there's the story of the Roku 2 and Roku 3. More than you ever wanted to know, right?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: roku models

That'll teach you to ask questions when Basil is around.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
lfayb
Level 8

Re: roku models

"atc98092" wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison The 2 and 3 are much older (2nd and 3rd) generations. The 4 was the last one that used a numerical model name. 

great link.  thanks.  will have to come back when I have time to really look at this,
0 Kudos
lfayb
Level 8

Re: roku models

"Basil" wrote:
"lfayb" wrote:
I see people referring to roku 2  or roku 3,  but I do  not remember seeing them called this when shippong for them.  What do these refer to?

And therein lies a tale. Here's the Cliff Notes version: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku

Roku has been making devices for over a decade. All devices have both a name and a model number. Sometimes, the same name is given to different model numbers. Usually, it's an upgrade to the device/name. There was this one instance where the model number was given to two different names, but that's very unusual.

The Roku 2 name actually refers to two different models: 2720 and 4210. They are drastically different boxes. Oh, and if you didn't already figure it out, there was also a Roku 1.

To make it even more confusing, the Roku 1, Roku 2 (both models), the Roku 3 (both models) were third-generation devices. See the previously linked Wikipedia page.

The first Roku 2 --

Actually, we need to pause here. There were some second generation devices that had "Roku 2" in the name -- for example, the Roku 2 HD, the Roku 2 XD, and the Roku 2 XS -- but no second generation device was called simply "Roku 2" with no additional suffix.

The first Roku 2, model 2720, was simply a Roku 1 (model 2710) with some additional components to allow for a WiFi Direct remote (meaning wireless listening). The Roku 1 only worked with an IR remote. As for the steaming parts, the Roku 2 (2710) was on par with the Roku 1, and vastly inferior to the Roku 3 (model 4200).

Then, Roku introduced a new Roku 2, model 4210. It was the same as a Roku 3 (4230). Exactly the same. Seriously. The only difference was the price ($20 cheaper) and the box included an IR remote. If, though, you added a Roku 3 remote, you effectively had a Roku 3. Which I did. I bought a Roku 2 (4210) and a Roku 3 remote, saved 1 cent (Roku 2 model 4210 at $79.99 + fancy remote at $19.99 = $99.98 versus Roku 3 at $99.99), and had a spare IR remote to boot.

Anyway, when they upgraded the Roku 2 (4210) they also upgraded the Roku 3 slightly (4230, mentioned earlier). There was no discernible difference between the 4200 and the 4230. Voice support, I believe.

So, there's the story of the Roku 2 and Roku 3. More than you ever wanted to know, right?

thanks, more good info, will have to come back later,  right now watching a  new thor movie on netflix on my roku
0 Kudos