Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

roku express and google assistant

I have a roku express with the latest updates installed on it and a standard google home and a google home mini, as well as a phone with voice assistant installed as well. All fully updated. I am also in the US where this should be supported.

For the life of me, I can't get my roku express to work with Google Assistant on any of these devices.  It will not do ANYTHING.

I have been trying for hours at this point to get it to work. 

I've gone through linking my account/device through the google home app multiple times per the main article for setting them up to work together. The Roku express is linked to my roku account. I have tried unlinking the device from my account and also resetting it and every device in the line of connection at this point as well multiple times.

The home app shows the express as a device that is connected to the home and it has been added to a room, but if I hit the power button icon that comes up when i tap on it all the home app says is "something went wrong".  If I try any voice commands the google assistant just responds that the roku is unavailable right now or it is unable to reach it.

Is there anything I can do here that I'm missing to get this to function properly? I'm about ready to sell this thing and just get a chromecast instead.

15 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roku express and google assistant

I'm having the exact same problem and am unable to find a a solution. I read somewhere that you needed Fast TV Start enabled but that's only on Roku TVs. Is Google Home functional with any of the plug-in devices?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

i would certainly hope so because they have it printed on the box it came in that it is compatible with google assistant.  and roku has an article on their website detailing how to set them up to work together that states the express should be a supported model.

Highlighted
Level 7

I am having the exact same problem. Google says "Sorry it looks like the Roku is unavailable now" or "Sorry I couldn't reach the Roku"  Major issue.  Needs to be fixed asap

Highlighted
Level 7

I am also having this problem and would like to find a solution, thank you 

Highlighted
Level 9

Hmm, interesting. I am having a very similar problem but with Alexa. Could it be that all smart speaker links are knackered?

Highlighted

I just bought a Roku Express (3930, 3931 series)  to replace my Chromecast, and facing with the same issue. Tried relinking the accounts, but didn't solve the problem. The assistant apparently thinks my Roku is an on/off switch, it's even showing a power plug logo above the dysfunctional on/off button.

Highlighted
Level 7

Same, on the Google home app when I try to use the Roku, it say"something went wrong" and when I do it with the Google Assistant it says "unable to reach Roku" I tried calling Roku tech support but apparently due to coronavirus you cannot reach them or they're not available. The rest of the Roku is great but the Google Assistant problem is horrible

Roku Express (3930, 3931 series)  

Highlighted
Level 7

Having the same problem as well, tried unlinking/linking accounts/resetting/the works but to no prevail it still will not work with voice commands from my google assistant home mini. Has anyone from Roku acknowledged the issue and working towards a fix or has anyone been reached out with a work around? this is very annoying as i would rather use my google mini than purchasing a new Roku remote to be lazy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Wink

Roku Express (3930, 3931 series)  

Highlighted
Level 8

i have gotten nothing out of this post other than figuring out I'm far from the only one with the issue.  i gave up and bought a chromecast for my main tv.  works like a charm AND I can control netflix with it, which I dont think I could do w/ the roku even if this was working.  Seriously thinking about selling the roku and getting another chromecast for the secondary tv i demoted the roku too as well at this point.  the entire situation has left a bad taste in my mouth for this company.