Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DisPeggy
Binge Watcher

4th UPDATE: "thinking" message, no action alexa/roku

OK, so I don't want to come off as complaining without trying to solve the issue, but the clock has now rolled around to two months with a broken device.  I have sent logs, videos, placed numerous calls to tech support and tried getting information via these forums.  Here is my only fix.

I took my 50" Roku TV that has been jacked up ever since the 10.5.0 upgrade and moved it out on the porch and brought in the Insignia 50" FireTV and, after about 5 minutes of setup, TV powers on / off with Echo Dot and all apps load and work correctly.

So Roku, is this what it has come to?  Are you forcing us to replace our Roku Devices that your 10.5.0 software upgrade mangled and replace them with Amazon enabled units?

I did talk with Amazon support today (wow, what a concept, you call them up and within a minute you get someone that is ready to help) and he said that for a month or so they have been aware of problems with Roku devices not being able to be properly controlled by Alexa.  Again Roku engineers, are we ever going to address these issues or let us downgrade to what was a working 10.0.0 version of the software?

0 Kudos
clarice08

Re: 4th UPDATE: "thinking" message, no action alexa/roku

Also, have the same problem. Did you find a resolution already? 

christopher_g
Reel Rookie

Re: "thinking" message, no action alexa/roku

I am experiencing the same issue. I factory reset my Roku TV, tried to disable and re-enable the Roku Alexa skill and tried different WiFi networks. The Alexa command will prompt the TV to display “Thinking…” and not issue the command.

Roku TV 7105X

TCL Model 55S405

Software Version 10.5.0 build 4210-30

Doesn’t seem like Roku is reading this thread and it seems like this is broken for many Roku TV’s. @RokuDanny-R any information about this?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@christopher_g

Thanks for the post and providing us with your information.

I have passed along your concerns and information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
christopher_g
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R If it helps, I am experiencing the same situation as others in this thread. The TV performs actions when using the Roku mobile app. It will also then perform an action if I engage Alexa within a few seconds of using the microphone on the mobile app and engaging the TV that way. After 5-10 seconds without Alexa interaction, it goes back to “Thinking…” when I tell Alexa to perform an action against the Roku TV. Bare minimum, Roku should give us the ability to downgrade the firmware. I used the Alexa functionality daily on my TV so this is a huge bummer.

0 Kudos
Scmcpokey

Same problem here 

0 Kudos
heizerca75
Reel Rookie

I am having this issue and it is now 12/26/2022. Is there a resolution to this issue? It just started for me in the last few weeks or so. I have had the tv for a year now. Model 65S531

0 Kudos
GusRod
Reel Rookie

Try downloading the Roku app on your phone, turn your TV on/off with the app and after that try using your Alexa 

0 Kudos

Re: "thinking" message, no action alexa/roku

I know little to nothing about these things, but I found the following that worked on my roku tv (I have only tried this on one so far).  Step 3 fixed the issue with communication:

1. the Roku must not get power from the TV, but from another power source, as most TVs will disable the power on their USB ports when the TV is off.
  2. you must have the HDMI-CEC option on the TV configured to allow for the remote power on/off of the TV.
  3. Enable One-Touch-Play on Roku. Navigate to Settings, System, Control other Devices, and turn on 1-touch-play option
0 Kudos