Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"thinking" message, no action alexa/roku

I ask alexa to turn the tv on/off and all I get is a "thinking" message popping up in the top right corner of the tv. Obviously everything is connected. I have tried removing and re-adding the tv, and the roku skill but still nothing changes. Just started doing this today. i tried resetting the tv as well. Still getting the message. So it is definitely connected, just not acting upon my request to turn on/off the tv. 

Tags (1)
18 REPLIES 18
GusRod
Reel Rookie

Re: "thinking" message, no action alexa/roku

Same issue here. I have not yet found a solution. 

Jyynx
Reel Rookie

Same issue, just got my new tv and am disappointed that I can't use these easier commands 😞

0 Kudos

Same issue here. Works on my other two TVs but my living room TV, it just says thinking and does no action

0 Kudos
DisPeggy
Binge Watcher

Same here:  Anyone have this issue after the TCL Roku update to 10.5.0 Build 4201-93:  When you issue a command, e.g. Alexa, Roku On, the TV shows the Thinking rectangular window in the upper right hand corner and a spinning circle, but never turns on the TV.  After 10 seconds or so, the command prompt on the TV disappears.

Have escalated a support ticket but it has been over a month now and no resolution.  I have two TCL Roku TVs that have this issue.

0 Kudos
DisPeggy
Binge Watcher

UPDATED: "thinking" message, no action alexa/roku

OK.  So I have now had this problem for two months.  Still "Thinking... but no action" issue when giving a "Alexa, Turn Off Roku" or "Alexa, Turn On Roku".  I have a 2020 version of the 50S425 TCL Roku TV.  Today I went and bought a 2021 version (50S431) and set up an entirely new TV with an entirely new Roku Account, disabled my Roku skill on Alexa and Enabled it with the new Roku account and TV and SAME THING!  It connects to the TV as the TV says "Thinking... and spins for about 5 seconds" then the message goes away and that's it.  I even tried linking the TV to a different Alexa DOT and an Alexa Fire TV cube with the same results.  Both TCL and Roku acknowledge that there is a problem.  TCL points the finger at Roku and Roku says that my ticket has been escalated (three times....).  I even sent Roku videos of what is happening along with all the info on the software versions and hardware that I am using.  Again, this seems to have happened after the 10.5.0 Roku software update around Thanksgiving. 

We purchased this Alexa Enabled device for the bedroom specifically to be able to turn it On and Off with voice commands so we wouldn't have to fumble for a remote.  So, taking the TV that I purchased today back and hoping that we get a Roku engineer to fix the bug in the software.

0 Kudos
DisPeggy
Binge Watcher

Re: 3rd UPDATE: "thinking" message, no action alexa/roku

Today, I tried something new.  

Here is an update on my Thinking... problem while using Alexa to turn on / off my TCL Roku TV.  If you use the Roku app for IOS installed on my iPhone 12 to turn on the TV using the microphone button by saying "Turn on Roku", the TV turns on.  Then,  within 5 seconds or so, no longer, you can say "Echo, Turn off Roku" and the TV will turn off using the command issued from the Echo Dot.  Then, waiting no more than 5 seconds, say "Echo, Turn on Roku" the TV will turn on.  If you wait longer than 5 or so seconds, the Amazon Echo will no longer work to turn on or off the TV and it just says "Thinking..."

So, I think we can finally say that it isn't a configuration issue but a software bug.

Hope this helps. I would be interested to see if others have this same problem.

0 Kudos
Jeret1331

Bro I did try to use mic on the app and I don’t work also keeps saying thinking any other advice 

0 Kudos
DisPeggy
Binge Watcher

Thanks for the information.  I wish the Roku "Team" that they say my support ticket was escalated to would chime in with some information.

FYI.  I also set up the Google Home app on my iPhone 12 and tried turning on / off the Roku TV after configuring it.  No difference - the TV says "Thinking...." for about 5 seconds then the Thinking box goes away.  So, it's not just related to Amazon devices.  Can we get some help on this please??

JodbaC
Reel Rookie

pensé que era yo el que no podía sincronizar. Tengo mi google home conectado a dos roky TV y nada. solo se queda diciendo procesando pero no realiza ninguna acción.

0 Kudos