Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jammer
Level 8

Re: overscan compensation?

Jeffrok...s'cuseme, but some of us with older SD sets actually prefer them to newer, Huger, accidentally-hit-the-screen-and-oops!-it's-replace-it time LCDs. Or plasmas, which I think are far Superior in terms of color rendition. Movies and other programming look wonderfully crisp on old sets, though that's not the reason Roku supported composite output up until now, they realized that there are still Millions of SD TVs out there. Why? Because they're built like tanks, they are repairable rather than replaceable, and many of us can't afford to dump a 20 or 30 year old television and run to Best Buy and pick up a new one, we just would rather actually buy food. However, even though 2018 seems to be the last year that Roku devices will support SD TVs, the fix is simple. Just purchase a 6-Buck HDMI to composite adapter / converter. And, old SD sets can be had for nothing if you look on craigslist or nextdoor; if we're talking about getting more bang for your buck, ain't no price better than free. But of spending a couple hundred bucks to have the latest whiz-bang obsolete-in-a-year-and-a-half TV, well please go ahead.

PS, hey Roku app guys... think you could make the bloody text box a little bit larger? It's really very difficult to deal with it on my Android phone.

PPS. In another post I included a link to contact the head of legal I think regarding accessibility issues. That's the real issue here.
jwalker4258
Level 7

my roku tv model is 43s421 I fixed my overscan issue by switching settings for hdmi 2.0 to auto. old pc to tv is what caused issue

Jammer
Level 8

Hi.  Yeppers that would work.

IFF I had a flat-screen TV. I have an SD, which several old(er) ROKUs support; many

of us out here do, that's why ROKU designed a dual-output device with both HDMI

and Composite (and/or component) outputs....

So, thanksBUT.

Is still No reason why the firmware could not have been designed to accomodate

variable video sizing, like many SBC set-top devices do.  ROKUs s/w is prolly open-source

(GITHUB?) I'd guess, so why there's no pic size adjustment is just...poor design, IMNSHO.

SD tv's gonna be around for quite a while yet.

I sent a message to the legal eagle at ROKU re ADA/visual considerations...

overscan makes it imp-possible to see the entire screen text.

PS..dear streaming services: why are your fonts so **bleep** SMALL???

Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
Jammer
Level 8

PS I never heard from Mr Legal Eagle, guess he doesn't take his job seriously.

Tres disappointing.

0 Kudos