Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
wildsprite
Level 7

overscan compensation?

why does Roku have no overscan compensation in their OS? this makes no sense to me at all,
while the TVs that can't turn overscan off are becoming fewer they do still exist and it is weird that the nearest competitor to Roku has auto(yes it will automatically change the screen size if it detects a TV that cannot turn off it's overscan) overscan compensation built into it but Roku does not even have manual overscan compensation.
I would like to send this in as a suggestion because it really makes no sense this feature does not exist.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: overscan compensation?

It doesn't exist on Fire Sticks either. I got rid of a TV because of its overscan. A lot easier to get rid of an annoying TV than a box that doesn't compensate for the TV's flaws.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
wildsprite
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
It doesn't exist on Fire Sticks either.  I got rid of a TV because of its overscan. A lot easier to get rid of an annoying TV than a box that doesn't compensate for the TV's flaws.

where do you get this idea from?
yes it does exist on fire sticks, at least the newer gen fire sticks do.  mine automatically activates it on 1 TV and I have the ability to control it in setting so I can change it if I need to.
also in this house there are 2 TVs that weren't cheap that are out of warranty. it would be easier if Roku would add overscan compensation than to replace these TVs. 

I can compensate for overscan using a build of linux on my PC and other small devices that use linux. Given that Roku OS is a custom build of Linux there is no reason Roku cannot add this to their devices. they choose not to
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

When I get home I'll post a pic. Basically the adjust screen setting just points you to a link (if I remember correctly).. Overscan fixing was an option in the older firmwares, but removed at some point. I have the original (I believe) Fire Stick.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
wildsprite
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
When I get home I'll post a pic.  Basically the adjust screen setting just points you to a link (if I remember correctly).. Overscan fixing was an option in the older firmwares, but removed at some point. I have the original (I believe) Fire Stick.

I have a fire TV stick 4k. the latest model on the latest firmware, under settings>display it's called Calibrate Display and on one of my TVs this fire TV stick auto activates the calibration. I also have a Roku Stick+ which is also the latest model and really want to be able to do the overscan compensation when using it on the older TVs 
0 Kudos
wildsprite
Level 7

For Clarification what I mean by auto activates the calibration on that TV. I mean that I never actually had to calibrate the Fire TV Stick with that TV yet it shows the entire picture on the screen
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"wildsprite" wrote:
For Clarification what I mean by auto activates the calibration on that TV. I mean that I never actually had to calibrate the Fire TV Stick with that TV yet it shows the entire picture on the screen

Interesting.. mine may have done that when I initially set it up, but I can't recall. I don't know how a device could automatically "sense" the edge of the screen without user interaction though.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 7

Anyone suggesting "just go get a new TV" because a setting doesn't exist to compensate for something on it is ridiculous. Roku could implement an overscan compensation they just don't care too, they only want to design their app for the TV's being sold now and don't care about people still using older sets. But just because of that it doesn't mean your old TV is useless and you have to go out and buy a new one because of it. If you are unhappy with Roku because of this I would say return the unit and go with something else that fits your needs.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"Emissary35" wrote:
Anyone suggesting "just go get a new TV" because a setting doesn't exist to compensate for something on it is ridiculous. Roku could implement an overscan compensation they just don't care too, they only want to design their app for the TV's being sold now and don't care about people still using older sets. But just because of that it doesn't mean your old TV is useless and you have to go out and buy a new one because of it. If you are unhappy with Roku because of this I would say return the unit and go with something else that fits your needs.

An old 32" 720p LCD TV is worth very little. You can buy a 32" with no overscan issues during Black Friday type sales for under $100. It makes plugging any new streaming device (Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV,
Chromecast, whateverr), a whole lot less worrisome. To me, yeah, overscan was so annoying to me that I just ditched the source of the problem, rather than trying to calibrate each device to the TV. I guess I'm ridiculous.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
"Emissary35" wrote:

An old 32" 720p LCD TV is worth very little. You can buy a 32" with no overscan issues during Black Friday type sales for under $100. It makes plugging any new streaming device (Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV,
Chromecast, whateverr), a whole lot less worrisome.  To me, yeah, overscan was so annoying to me that I just ditched the source of the problem, rather than trying to calibrate each device to the TV. I guess I'm ridiculous.

It's ridiculous to have to go out and spend any money on a new TV no matter what the price is when an overscan compensation option could be designed into the firmware, if Roku cared.
0 Kudos