Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
A-haley05
Level 7

not connected

why is the Roku remote not connecting to the Roku. and why does roku on the TV say not connected. How do you fix that?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: not connected

There are several different types and models of Roku streamers using different methods of connecting to their remotes.  So that we can give you the best advice we need to know what model Roku you have.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.
0 Kudos
PearlIII
Level 7

I have a ROKU Express. Suddenly on my 2nd device it said not connected, and the screen saver had an ad for $24.95, but didn’t say what for, then the remote stopped working. Now the ROKU doesn’t even come on.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

The remote that comes with the Express is a direct-line-of-sight infrared (IR) remote that must be pointed at the Express.  Make sure that the Express is located where it can be seen from your remote location, and that the front side of the Express where the IR receptor is located is pointing out into the room.  Also make sure there's nothing in front of the Express blocking the signal from the remote.

The "not connected" message refers to connecting to your home wifi network.   My Rokus occasionally drop their wifi connection, but here's how I get it back (this DOES require a working remote):

• Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart (for a Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > System restart). Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings> Network > Set up connection

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

Also, Roku models Express, Express+, Premiere, and Premiere+ cannot connect to the 5 GHz wifi band, only to the 2.4 GHz band. If you have a dual band router with both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, be sure the router's 2.4 GHz band is turned on.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.
0 Kudos