Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nyabns
Reel Rookie

new customer -- Streaming Stick+ VS Express 4K+

Planning to buy my first Roku, and the Streaming Stick+ seems to like a good combination of features and price.

The new Express 4K+ is coming out soon, and appears to be almost identical to the Streaming Stick+ except for form factor and maybe wireless strength.

Is there much/any difference between these two?  Why would you purchase one of them over the other?

Also, is there anywhere that lists the RAM and storage space for the various Roku models?  I haven't been able to find it on the product description pages.

Thanks for any help!

8 REPLIES 8
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: new customer -- Streaming Stick+ VS Express 4K+

Roku specs of current and previous models...

https://developer.roku.com/docs/specs/hardware.md

I prefer the set-top devices, but other family members have the streaming sticks and soundbars.  I personally enjoy my Ultra with the ethernet connection and ability to plug in a USB thumb drive for quick viewing of things on main television.  For guest rooms and the like, I currently have Premieres which will mostly likely be replaced with the Express 4ks if need be in near future since Premiere is now in process of being discontinued.  Additionally, I have some universal remotes that use IR capability of the set-top devices.

Unless you are a very demanding streamer or have certain needs regarding Dolby/HDR and the like, I think it just comes down to pricing and personal preference, especially if new to Roku.  Read through the spec sheet above and see if any of the newer units meet the majority of your needs. Since I don't have any 4k televisions or intend on buying one, perhaps someone else can provide input if one device performs better in that respect.

Regarding RAM, both Express 4k and Stick+ have 1gb as outlined in above link.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

nyabns
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the reply and the link to that chart.  I'm really just dipping my toes in the streaming water right now, not a demanding streamer or complicated audio/visual system setup.  Just for more detail: 1080p will be the most I'd use, and the router is in the same room with the TV that will get the Roku (10-15 feet apart), there is no ethernet connection near the TV that will get the Roku, and there are USB slots for flash drives on the TV and Blu-ray player, the TV is not wall-mounted and there would be somewhere to set a Roku box, I don't plan to travel with the Roku, and the TV is old enough that it wouldn't be able to use any HDR/Dolby functionality.

I'm leaning toward the new Express 4K+ now after reading in an article that it could be connected to ethernet with a cheap adapter if that need ever came up, that it seems "slightly zippier" than the Streaming Stick+, and they essentially cost the same.

https://www.cnet.com/news/roku-express-4k-plus-review-the-new-go-to-roku/

Though this article says the wifi is better on the Streaming Stick+

https://www.techhive.com/article/3617951/roku-express-4k-review-the-new-budget-streaming-champ.html

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

For what its worth, and if convenient for you, I would probably just go to Best Buy since same price as online from Roku and if a particular device doesn't work for you, you can easily return it and swap it out for another model rather than trying to ship back to Roku.  As that linked article noted, Walmart carries a different option of the 4k (namely just the difference in remote function) in this case, but different stores carry different Roku models.  Walmart will sell Express 4k, Best buy will sell Express4k+.   I believe I had to buy the Premiere+ at Walmart and my Ultra at Best Buy, because my Best Buy didn't sell the Premiere models at the time.  It became a little confusing at the time as I was researching the Roku before I decided to purchase.   Target also sells Roku as well as other stores.  Basically, just verify you are buying the correct model that you decide upon.  They should also be charging the same price that Roku is offering the device for on their site.  I have never found them to be different.

0 Kudos
nyabns
Reel Rookie

Looks like Amazon, Walmart, and Best Buy all have preorders available for the Express 4K+ to be released tomorrow 5/16/2021.  Maybe Target will carry this new model soon.  I'll make sure the + is on the one I buy, to get the voice remote.

0 Kudos
nyabns
Reel Rookie

Plot twist: the Ultra dropped by $30 everywhere today, plus Target had a 10% coupon on electronics and a 5% Redcard discount and I had a giftcard sitting around, so I got an Ultra!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Sounds like you just got yourself a very good deal.  Definitely can't go wrong with the Ultra in my experience regarding performance and quality.  

Boz
Roku Guru

Maybe I'm missing it, but that specs page doesn't list channel storage capacity, does it?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Boz 

This link gives a little more info.  Here, Memory=RAM, Channel Storage=Memory Allocated to Channels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison

0 Kudos