Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbowie

my Roku express has overheated and to hot to even hold it. so I unplugged it since it also stopped

my Roku express has over heated. so hot I can't even hold it. so I unplugged it for fear of a fire. first it stop functioning and that is why I went to the device to maybe reset it or something. but when I grabbed it it was so hot. I also bought a new Samsung t.v yesterday and I had the Roku attached to the new t.v.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: my Roku express has overheated and to hot to even hold it. so I unplugged it since it also st...

Hi @rbowie,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're running into! If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem. Kindly include the serial number of your Roku device.

We would also recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What to do if the red light is on or you see a “Your device is overheating” message | Official Roku ...

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Beltonite
Channel Surfer

Re: my Roku express has overheated and to hot to even hold it. so I unplugged it since it also stopp

See my post of yesterday (Oct. 1 -2022).  Welcome to the ROKU cooking club, where their streaming devices get so hot you could cook eggs on them!  Just kidding - more like warming up soup.  It is my experiential opinion that ROKU devices frequently exhibit a design flaw related to overheating, as evidenced by a high proportion of customer complaints.  I don't have an engineering design change (e.g., perhaps a heat diffuser or heat sink & fan) nor do I count beans at the prospect of costing ROKU more to correct the flaw.  It seems the folks at ROKU are entrenched on this one, all along the line - they are not about to spend an extra iota of effort or money to fix something that makes so much money for them.  If one reads their responses, it smells like cheat cheats are just being copied and pasted just to post SOMETHING in reply to customer complaints. 

My work around (NOT a solution to the problem, just a means of mitigating the design flaw)  is to simply use a small USB powered fan tie-wrapped to a piece of wire, clamped to a woodcraft shop clamp.  I will post another more detailed picture shortly.  I tried using an HDMI dongle (small extension cable) to have it out in the air and in the open - no matter, it still would overheat.  Good luck

0 Kudos
SurfnDaSun
Reel Rookie

Re: my Roku express has overheated and to hot to even hold it. so I unplugged it since it also stopp

Yeah, it's odd they think an short extender would help dissipate the heat emitted from the USB stick.  The back of my LG OLED TV is absolutely cool to the touch.  The plastic from the TV back case is cool to the touch, but when you touch the Roku Streaming Stick 4K, that USB case is TOASTY HOT!!  The ONLY thing too hot to touch is the Roku stick, so it's a shame that this design has a problem with heat. I had a lot of hope for it as I wanted to move away from Apple TV.  Why can't you show up Apple with a superior Roku product? 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@SurfnDaSun

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, are you currently utilizing the free HDMI extender to connect your Roku Streaming Stick to your TV?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SurfnDaSun
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@SurfnDaSun

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, are you currently utilizing the free HDMI extender to connect your Roku Streaming Stick to your TV?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Hi Danny, 

Thanks for the follow up. Not yet, delivery is on the way after I saw the free option for the problem. I will try it and let you know how it goes. I will be surprised if that solution makes the Roku stick cool to the touch afterwards though. 

-Allen

0 Kudos