Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

multiple software updates during setup

We bought a Roku Premiere today, hooked up it, and connected to our WiFi. No issues. It automatically checked for updates. It has updated and restarted roughly 15-20 times. No errors have been seen at all. Just a continuous loop of selecting the language, connecting to WiFi, updating software, and restarting. This has been going on for almost 2 hours. The WiFi signal is strong. Is this normal? If not, how do I proceed?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Level 21

Re: multiple software updates during setup

No, that is not normal. It sounds like one of the downloads got corrupted during install. Since you're still just trying to do the initial setup, try doing a hard reset. Somewhere on your Roku is a small hole with a recessed button. Find something small to poke in that hole and hold the button down for 30 seconds. And I do mean 30 seconds. Ignore anything happening on the screen, and wait at minimum 30 seconds. Then you can release the button and hopefully you'll get the initial start screen and you can try again. 

If it keeps happening (and it's possible, I had a Roku TV do the same thing), it's probably defective and I would exchange it. After exchanging the TV I mentioned, the new one worked just fine and still does over 3 years later. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos