Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bk_bishop
Level 7

mirror/cast issue

Not to be narcissistic but after multiple failed attempts of trying to cast/mirror my device to my Roku via WiFi with help from the staff at Roku, i was able to fix this problem on my own.  My first attempt of casting my device to Roku was a success, after that I could not.  From my experience I noticed that ever time I linked my Android tablet to my Roku, my tablet stored the Roku connection information in an area called Remembered Groups.  You need to clear this ever time you want to link your device after a disconnection.  Go into your Settings/WLAN/Advanced (find this by looking for the 3 dots top right of screen, Lollipop version)/WLAN Direct and under Remembered groups you'll see your history of connections, in other words you'll find your Roku device that was previously connected. Prompt that, and it will ask you do you want to forget this group, click ok.  Go back into your casting/mirroring screen in your settings and try to connect.  This worked for me.  I believe the problem lye with the stored information conflicting with my WiFi connection.  I'm sure I could go into my router settings to fix this but to lazy. Let me know if this helps anyone.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: mirror/cast issue

Would not have anything to do with your router as Miracasting uses Wi-Fi direct. Connects directly from your Phone's Wi-Fi to your Roku's Wi-Fi. Does not utilize your LAN. Could be an Android bug. I have no issues with Windows 10.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 7

You don't need to post this to a bunch of old threads in addition to posting it here in a new one. 
0 Kudos
bk_bishop
Level 7

Ok understood.  But I've been through the ringer with Roku to no avail.  I'm just posting what worked on my device.  The stored information from previous connects will not allow me to reconnect.  Like I said it's probably an issue where I need to go into my router settings and add the IP address.  
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"bk+bishop" wrote:
 Like I said it's probably an issue where I need to go into my router settings and add the IP address.  

Can't be anything to you with your Router. Screen mirroring is a direct connection. Know how you see Roku has a Wireless Access Point SSID? Yeah, this is what it's for.
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
bk_bishop
Level 7

So does this sound like a bug.  The fact I would have to go into my advance settings and erase remembered groups every time i want to connect??
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"bk+bishop" wrote:
So does this sound like a bug.  The fact I would have to go into my advance settings and erase remembered groups every time i want to connect??

Likely Android level bug. I never have issues with Windows devices. My Android device doesn't have the capability, so I can't test it (and I have Android N). 
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
mc510
Level 7

"trekkeriii" wrote:
I have no issues with Windows 10.

Do you mean that you're able to cast from Windows 10 to your Roku, using either the right-click context menu or the "cast to device" option in the Edge broswer?  Doesn't work for me and I haven't even been sure if it's supposed to work with Roku!
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"mc510" wrote:
"trekkeriii" wrote:
I have no issues with Windows 10.

Do you mean that you're able to cast from Windows 10 to your Roku, using either the right-click context menu or the "cast to device" option in the Edge broswer?  Doesn't work for me and I haven't even been sure if it's supposed to work with Roku!

I just go to the Action Center, click "Connect", I see my Rokus (I have three that will work), pick the one I want to cast to, PC sees Roku as a second monitor. I've been Successful with two devices so far. Alienware laptop and an Asus tablet. Just connected it as I was typing this. I have the 1607 update for Win10 as well.

BTW, don't try using PS4 remote play, lol. It works, but the delay... But in a way, I can use Win10 PS4 Remote Play to cast to Roku.
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

I never thought I would say this, but since getting a mobile (Longtime holdout from the 80's.) I have enjoyed the ability to cast video from my phone to my Roku, particularly sports content from apps/services who don't have dedicated apps/channels for Roku, but they enable the ability to cast to Roku. It's made it easier for me to cover things as a writer for those apps/websites that don't offer dedicated apps. Took me a while to figure it out, but once I figured it out, it's not so bad.  Even though I would prefer these apps/services to have dedicated apps on Roku and other devices, being able to cast content is the happy medium for me for now.
0 Kudos