Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trekkie14
Level 7

microSD insertion issues Premier+

A couple weeks ago, the notification about adding a microSD card popped up on my Roku Premier+.  I ordered a cheap SanDisk class 10, 16GB microSD from Amazon.  I see now that this card may not be comparable, but that is a different issue...

Last night, I tried to insert the microSD into the opening under the HDMI slot, and I am having issues with properly installing it.  I have no idea how dar/deep into the opening the card should go.  I read online that you are supposed to orient the card with the information on the top and contacts on the bottom, but every time I put it in, it is crooked.  I searched and searched for an image of a Premier+ showing how far in the card should go.  Can anyone help me out?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ghb51
Level 8

Re: microSD insertion issues Premier+

It's kind of hard to explain, but you probably shouldn't go by any one orientation, it could be different for different devices, instead just push in and feel for resistance, if there is resistance try a different way, it should go in smoothly and you'll probably have to use your fingernail to push it in all the way and if successful you should feel a click as it locks in place, the edge of the card should be flush with the device. To get it back out you push in with your fingernail until you feel the click letting you know it's unlocked and it should pop out, hopefully that makes sense.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: microSD insertion issues Premier+

"trekkie14" wrote:
A couple weeks ago, the notification about adding a microSD card popped up on my Roku Premier+.  I ordered a cheap SanDisk class 10, 16GB microSD from Amazon.  I see now that this card may not be comparable, but that is a different issue...

Last night, I tried to insert the microSD into the opening under the HDMI slot, and I am having issues with properly installing it.  I have no idea how dar/deep into the opening the card should go.  I read online that you are supposed to orient the card with the information on the top and contacts on the bottom, but every time I put it in, it is crooked.  I searched and searched for an image of a Premier+ showing how far in the card should go.  Can anyone help me out?

Keep in mind a couple of things. First, you don't actually need a microSD card. All it does is prevent the Roku from having to re-download the app if it has removed it locally because of space issues. The current Premiere+ (model 3921) doesn't even have a microSD slot. The only current device that accepts a microSD card is the Ultra. Your Premiere+ (model 4630) was the last non-Ultra to accept a microSD card.

Next, getting anything larger than 2 GB card doesn't help. The Roku will only use up to 2 GB of a microSD card. The cards Roku sells are 2 GB cards. And, as you've discovered, the older specs for the card, the better.

As mentioned, if it goes in crooked, flip it. It should insert and be roughly flush with the back of the box, to the point you'll need to use something like a fingernail to press it in to release it (it usually pops out a little) where you can grab it and remove it.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos