Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrSkeletor
Reel Rookie

macOS Quicktime to Airplay RokuTV not working

I have a RokuTV 7303X (OS 9.4.0 Build 4200-31) and a MacBook Pro 13" 2017 (macOS 11.1 Big Sur).

I have rebooted both multiple times. I have verified both have an excellent Wi-Fi connection.

I can screen mirror from my MacBook to the RokuTV via AirPlay easily. The audio is constantly out of sync, but at least I can get it up there for my presentations (issue #1).

However, when I open a video in Quicktime on my Mac, it gives me the option to AirPlay it within Quicktime to my TV. I select this option. The video stops playing on my Mac and the RokuTV just shows the AirPlay screen that shows my Wi-Network and Device name. It doesn't actually play anything. No error messages. I've tried multiple times, with different videos, I can't get it to AirPlay from Quicktime. However, I can get it Screen Mirror, so I know it's connected.

I have tried going into AirPlay Settings, and have reset settings, repaired my Mac, and still it will no play any videos from Quicktime, it just brings up the AirPlay app with no video.

15 REPLIES 15
btho

Re: macOS Quicktime to Airplay RokuTV not working

I'm having exactly the same issue.

Any advice out there?

iFrog
Roku Guru

I had the same problem tonight when trying to airplay from a late 2015 27" iMac to a 2020 Roku Ultra running RokuOS 9.4.1 build 4236, and macOS 11.2.1 (iMac). Just got the Airplay settings instead of the video.  What I thought might be wrong in my case was, it didn't work over a wired network since my devices are wired, and on screen it said to make sure they were on the same WiFi network.  Since the other people here had the same issue on WiFi, it would seem that's not the problem.  I do have a couple of Apple TVs that I could test, just to make sure AirPlay itself isn't broken, however a month or so ago, I tried AirPlay from an iPad / iPhone via the YouTube app and it seems to have worked.  Also, Music seems to work via AirPlay.

I'm wondering if Roku's support is limited, and unlike the Apple TV, full AirPlay isn't supported.  Has anyone been able to come up with a solution ?

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@iFrog

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried making sure that both devices you are trying to use for Airplay are on the same wireless network?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
MrSkeletor
Reel Rookie

Both of mine are on the same WiFi and still can't get it to work

iFrog
Roku Guru

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@iFrog

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried making sure that both devices you are trying to use for Airplay are on the same wireless network?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Hi Danny,

Here is an update for you.

I have my devices all on the same LAN, and the computer, and streaming devices are all hardwired.

What I found out is, this is a problem with local playback from QuickTime player, and a third party program I use called ElMedia player.  When I did airplay from safari, to Roku things played nicely from YouTube, and screen mirroring works as well.

I did further confirmation to isolate the issue to Roku and local airplay playback by doing the same thing with my physical Apple TVs and the Apple TV I used worked with local playback where as Roku didn't

I could play video to the TV via mirroring, but having the app send it directly would be a better solution.

Hope this helps.

hder

I get the same issue. "AirPlay Video" from quicktime doesn't work. The Roku TV is just on the AirPlay screen and doesn't show that it's gotten any data coming over to it.

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

@hder wrote:

I get the same issue. "AirPlay Video" from quicktime doesn't work. The Roku TV is just on the AirPlay screen and doesn't show that it's gotten any data coming over to it.

It seems like local video playback from the Mac isn't supported on the Roku over airPlay local as in App direct, screen mirroring works, so you could play something on the Mac and use screen mirroring over airplay, you could also set the Roku as a separate airplay display.

Sources, like web content  e.g. YouTube work with Roku from Safari, and they work from iOS.

This seems to be limited to Quicktime, or third party apps like ElMedia Player Pro, when it comes to airPlay not working with Roku.  I was able to confirm this was a Roku specific issue by trying the same sources on a physical Apple TV, which worked without problems.  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos

I'm having the same issue. Screen mirroring works but attempting to AirPlay from the QuickTime app itself just yields the AirPlay settings screen on my Roku TV. Both my laptop and TV are on the same wifi network.  It's kind of a bummer because I'd like to use my Roku TV remote control with the media playback where possible.

tomj711

Same problem here...

What gives, Roku?  You sell this hardware as Airplay 2 compatible, yet this very basic function does not work.

Model: 3920EU - Roku Premiere

Software Version: 10.0.0 build 4209-91