Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KrisM
Streaming Star

is my Roku 4630X outdated?

Jump to solution

is my Roku 4630X Premiere+ outdated?  Would I gain anything by getting a newer one?

Vizio TV V436-G1 4K HDR10

Samsung UBD-K8500 4K HDR Blu player (intentionally w/o Smart Hub!)

I ONLY use the Roku for streaming and particularly using stuff on Youtube, HDR, OLED, etc, picture is OUTSTANDING!!!

HDMI cables are Monster 21Gig $15,

Audio is optical from TV to LG soundbar.

Roku 4662X(4662RW), retired: Roku 4630X.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: is my Roku 4630X outdated?

Jump to solution

@KrisM Thanks for the question here.

I also use a 4630X myself. To answer your question, no it is not outdated. This model supports all the current channels we offer, and 4K HDR streaming, etc.

The primary advantage you may see in a newer device would be improved performance from a newer processor, additional features that are included on some newer remotes (such as personalized voice shortcut buttons on the Roku Ultra 4670), etc. But as far as that model of device, it is still very solid overall (in my opinion). Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@KrisM Thanks for the question here.

I also use a 4630X myself. To answer your question, no it is not outdated. This model supports all the current channels we offer, and 4K HDR streaming, etc.

The primary advantage you may see in a newer device would be improved performance from a newer processor, additional features that are included on some newer remotes (such as personalized voice shortcut buttons on the Roku Ultra 4670), etc. But as far as that model of device, it is still very solid overall (in my opinion). Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Tanner

KrisM
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

many thanks! Outstanding unit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You can always upgrade the remote. 🙂

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
KrisM
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

yeah, thanks, however I think it best to just wait and get a 4670 or some such. I can use other remotes for vol control in the meantime... I think that's the only difference.

0 Kudos
jayoh999
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Great stuff, TannerD; but, what current model sold by Roku supports DD for surround sound?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@jayoh999 wrote:

Great stuff, TannerD; but, what current model sold by Roku supports DD for surround sound?

All Roku players support DD audio. But the vast majority of online providers use DD+ as their audio stream for multi-channel sound. And Roku supports that as well, but whatever equipment is handling your audio (TV or AVR) has to support DD+. Not all TVs or AVRs do, so you're forced to use 2 channel audio. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jnmarcus

Is the Roku® Enhanced Voice Remote - RC496 compatible with the Model 4630X

Jump to solution

I would like to replace the remote I use now, the RC 95, with a voice compatible remote like the RC496.   Will it work properly as I need it to?

Thanks,

Joel

0 Kudos
wspurgeon

Jump to solution

With the 4630X, you can not view F1 TV.  So for that, it is out dated.  The 4630X is the 5th generation and F1 TV will only work on 7th or 8th generation as noted on their site.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Roku is up to the 10th generation now. 😉

The 4630 was released in Oct 2016, so over 5 years old now. Roku still considers it current, as it still receives OS updates. But there are likely some providers that won't support that old of a device. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos