Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msaine

hulu favorite channels on Roku TV

Is the Hulu service selected via Roku a valid Hulu service? or product? For the last couple of weeks the hulu "favorite" channel on live tv menu selection keeps coming and going. Some times it's there others it's not.

Can't log on to hulu site as they don't recognize my Roku id as a login to ask there what is happening. This is a Hisense-Roku tv with built in hulu and others services. What services am I really entitled to?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: hulu favorite channels on Roku TV

@msaine wrote:

Is the Hulu service selected via Roku a valid Hulu service? or product? For the last couple of weeks the hulu "favorite" channel on live tv menu selection keeps coming and going. Some times it's there others it's not.

Can't log on to hulu site as they don't recognize my Roku id as a login to ask there what is happening. This is a Hisense-Roku tv with built in hulu and others services. What services am I really entitled to?

Hulu is Hulu. If there is an issue with the app, it's a Hulu issue, and is unrelated to how you subscribed or are billed.

Note that Hulu isn't built in to your TV. It is an app on your TV that, when you set up, has several apps pre-selected for installation, among which Hulu is one. If you do not un-select it, it is installed. So, it's not built-in; it's installed by default. It can be removed if you like.

The circumstance you describe regarding not being able to log in and use Hulu apart from on your Roku device is actually common, and a reason I don't subscribe through Roku for anything. It would be nice if it was easy to log in to Roku-subscribed services. It may be possible, but it's not easy. If they made it easy, I'd subscribe through Roku as that is a very easy process. It's the utilization on other devices (iPad, etc) that is difficult.

I subscribe directly to Hulu and other services and enter those credentials on my Roku devices. You may want to cancel your Roku-based subscription to Hulu and when the service stops (at the end of the 30-day cycle) subscribe directly and enter those credentials on your Roku TV for Hulu. 

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: hulu favorite channels on Roku TV

It's hard to tell from your post..  Are you asking if by purchasing a Roku TV you automatically get access to a full Hulu account?  If that's not what you're asking about, you can skip the rest of this post.

Hulu pays Roku to include a direct access Hulu button on many remotes, and I suspect they also pay to have their app installed by default.  But neither of these provides you with a Hulu subscription, they merely save you the trouble of installing it yourself and make it easier to access. 

Hulu requires a paid subscription that you may purchase directly from Hulu at hulu.com, or through a third party platform such as Roku.  If purchased through a third party, this subscription typically is only valid when you view that channel via that same third party's platform.  If purchased directly from Hulu, you can view on any and all platforms supported by Hulu.  In either case, you can sign up for a free trial that will automatically convert to a paid subscription if you don't cancel it before the trial ends.

Hulu has several subscription plans:

• Basic Hulu $5.99/month or $59.99/year.  Includes movies and tv shows on demand.  Supported by unskippable ads.
  • Hulu Plus Live TV $64.99/month.  Includes the basic Hulu above, plus live feeds and on-demand for a bunch of cable-type channels, and local channels for many/most areas.
  • Hulu offers ad-free versions of either of these for an additional $6.00/month. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos