Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
buckstream
Reel Rookie

how to use my ROKU device to replace my DVR/Spectrum Box

Jump to solution

I was told that I could use my ROKU device to act as a DVR by using Apple Play or Google and thus eliminating the need to rent a Spectrum DVR cable box.  Does anyone know how to do this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cwcheese
Roku Guru

Re: how to use my ROKU device to replace my DVR/Spectrum Box

Jump to solution

I am a Spectrum subscriber, and use the streaming app on my Roku devices to be able to view their cable channels on the various TVs in my home.  I've never seen a DVR capability in the streaming app, only if you agree to rent the Spectrum cable set top device will you get DVR.

In my experience with the app, there is no provision to record any programming in DVR fashion, nor to access the DVR of a set top box if you should choose to have one; Spectrum provides On Demand to view the content they choose to store and make available. There is also a My Library which is where you can tag some programs in a Watchlist.

don't call me expert, just a long time Roku user that seen a lot of things

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

A Roku is a streaming device. Not a DVR. Whoever told you this in incorrect or you misunderstood them. There is no such thing as Apple Play. Only Apple AirPlay. You can use your iPhone's AirPlay feature on your Roku device. You can mirror your Andorid's phone screen to your Roku device. None of that has anything to do with DVR. If you are looking to cut the cord and get rid of Spectrum you can do that by signing up for YouTube TV, Hulu with  live tv, Sling or FuboTV. All of which use a cloud based DVR. Spectrum as a Roku channel also. 

https://www.roku.com/how-it-works/stream-and-save/how-to-cut-the-cord

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/99564b2547ed970e603a8a2624804263/spectrum-tv?utm_medium=rokubl...

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/spectrum-tv-app-roku

https://clark.com/technology/tvsatellite-cable/spectrum-streaming-service/

https://www.spectrum.com/cable-tv/spectrum-tv-app

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You were mis-informed. Your Roku cannot act as a DVR. It can replace a cable box, as Spectrum has a channel for Roku devices. But DVR functionality requires storage space, such as the ability to plug in an external hard drive. While some Roku devices do support adding a USB drive, it is for the sole purpose of playing media from that drive, and does not have the ability to write files to it. Roku TVs can use a USB storage device to pause live TV, but they too have no DVR capability. 

Since I don't have Spectrum, I have no idea if their channel has some sort of cloud DVR capabilities. That is a question you'd have to ask Spectrum. They developed and provide support for their channel/app on Roku devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@atc98092 

Might OP's source have been referring to Spectrum's own DVR setup? I've never used Spectrum, but I've dealt with Comcast/Xfinity and their Roku app. A family member could set a limited number of recordings and watch them via Roku. Essentially, Xfinity DVR functionality was in the app, similar to how Sling TV, YouTube TV, and the like have it. I wonder if Spectrum does this, and that have been what OP's source was talking about. Essentially replacing the cable box, as Xfinity app does, and the service having DVR functions in the app.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Yes, that's why I referenced a possible cloud DVR function in the Spectrum channel. Since I don't have Spectrum, I have no idea what's available within the channel. I only use Xfinity for Internet, so I haven't installed their channel either. 

Dan

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@atc98092 

I read that sentence incorrectly. My apologies.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

atc98092

Jump to solution

No problem... 😄

Dan

0 Kudos
cwcheese
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I am a Spectrum subscriber, and use the streaming app on my Roku devices to be able to view their cable channels on the various TVs in my home.  I've never seen a DVR capability in the streaming app, only if you agree to rent the Spectrum cable set top device will you get DVR.

In my experience with the app, there is no provision to record any programming in DVR fashion, nor to access the DVR of a set top box if you should choose to have one; Spectrum provides On Demand to view the content they choose to store and make available. There is also a My Library which is where you can tag some programs in a Watchlist.

don't call me expert, just a long time Roku user that seen a lot of things
DBDukes

Jump to solution

It appears we have a definitive answer.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
buckstream
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have since been informed that subscribing to the Spectrum DVR cloud service would enable me to eliminate the DVR/Cable box (and subsequent fees and rental of said box) for a cost of $10 per month.  I would then use Roku to access the DVR programming.  Now how do I use Roku to view my recorded content and to do recording?

0 Kudos