Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
randyite

firmware update 10.5 broke Roku 3 and microSD

Splash screen offered tour of 10.5 and promptly froze. Could not select tour or cancel. Had to reboot. Now device does not recognize microSD card. Reinstalling card does not help. Asks to format but gets stuck in an endless menu loop. Restart does not help.

Where is promised option to roll back 10.5?

Please advise on how to proceed.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: firmware update 10.5 broke Roku 3 and microSD

For those Roku models that have SD card slots, a corrupted card can prevent the Roku from advancing beyond the startup screen when powering up. Try removing the SD card and restarting.

You may be able to salvage the card. Try formatting the card in your computer, if it has a card reader that can handle SD cards. After formatting, see if the Roku will detect and reformat the card successfully.

Also, see if this post helps: https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes-Accessories/Added-SD-Card-Remote-no-longer-works/m-p/646676#M1...

Windows instructions, don't know what would differ on other systems:
Do a slow (i.e. not "fast") format of the card via your computer. Select FAT32 and select it to use the default allocation size.

[Back when I had a Roku 3, after the 2nd or 3rd time the card got corrupted, I just decided it wasn't worth the hassle and left it out.]

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos