Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vickiev

emergency alerts (weather)

Can you disable the emergency alerts on Roku? With all this rain it seems to be cutting in with flood watch alerts often, I'd like to turn it off.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
Elijah_Baley
Visitor

Re: emergency alerts (weather)

"vickiev" wrote:
Can you disable the emergency alerts on Roku? With all this rain it seems to be cutting in with flood watch alerts often, I'd like to turn it off.

It must be the app you are running. I have never seen an emergency alert on my Rokus and here we have plenty of bad weather.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Roku Guru

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
"vickiev" wrote:

It must be the app you are running. I have never seen an emergency alert on my Rokus and here we have plenty of bad weather.

Might be a Roku TV feature? I don't know. I definitely have never seen such a thing, and considering I am in a Flash Flood Watch zone, I definitely would be seeing this. So, not something on the boxes or sticks. I could see this on Spectrum App.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - AT&T- 1000 Mbps/1000 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Don't see any such settings in my Roku TVs, but I don't live somewhere that has weather alerts very often. As in almost never. 
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Roku Guru

It's probably the local TV stations sending them through.. nothing can be done to disable those, as those are broadcast as part of the tv signal.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
twiceover
Roku Guru

Just an FYI, there is legislation to start bringing these alerts to streaming services.  Don't know what happened to it, just remember one of my state morons helped publish it.

Not saying it's a bad idea, just that I'm not a fan of the people that were pushing for it.
jeffrok
Roku Guru

"twiceover" wrote:
Just an FYI, there is legislation to start bringing these alerts to streaming services.  Don't know what happened to it, just remember one of my state morons helped publish it.

Not saying it's a bad idea, just that I'm not a fan of the people that were pushing for it.

I'm for it.. storms kill, and with less and less people watching live TV, this might be their only way to get notified.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Roku Guru

"jeffrok" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:

I'm for it.. storms kill, and with less and less people watching live TV, this might be their only way to get notified.

As long as I can turn it off - where I live we don't have severe weather, but the broadcast area (Los Angeles) is so large it contains mountains and inland areas that get severe thunderstorms and flash floods. I HATE these warnings (and their DVR-killing, annoying implementation), so don't ever want to hear them.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Roku Guru

True, it's up to a person if they want to receive them or not, at least that's how it is on Android and (I believe) IOS.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
speechles
Roku Guru

0 Kudos