Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CuriousQ

best inexpensive model with sd slot to replace roku model 4200

We have been using an older  Roku model 4200.  We also have fairly new remotes that have the Netflix/Hulu/Disney+/Vudu buttons, plus volume control and voice command.  We'd like to get an inexpensive device to replace the 4200 - so we can add an SD card and not have to wait for some channels to load.  Since the 4200 doesn't appear to have an easily opened back, I assume it will not support an SD card.  We don't have 4k TV, etc - so we don't need the extra 'definition'. Since we already have nice remotes, what is the least expensive model to get that has an SD card?  Will our current remotes work with it? Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: best inexpensive model with sd slot to replace roku model 4200

Forget the Micro SD card slot (its not needed with more recent models and they dont have one)

However, the latest/greatest Roku player model with one is the 4670 (2019 Ultra).

Just get the $70-100 2020 Ultra (4800) or the $30-40 2021 Express 4K+ (3941) and you'll be fine with app loading in general.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@CuriousQ 

If you can find a Roku Ultra LT, a Walmart exclusive, that one has a microSD card. It's the cheapest Roku that has the slot.

But I agree with @StreamerUser that one isn't needed with most of the current models.

By the way, you didn't say your Roku 3 is having issues. If it's still running, I'd keep using it. It was a heckuva device in its day, and unless it's giving you problems, keep using it. I still use one.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Doesn't the 4200 have sd card slot just under the hdmi input? 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Doesn't the 4200 have sd card slot just under the hdmi input? 

Mine did.  It is DIRECTLY beneath the HDMI jack.  You may need to unplug the HDMI cord to access it.

Note that the Roku will only use 2 GB of storage -- any additional capacity on the SD card will go to waste.  Later models have more internal memory for channel storage and don't have SD card slots.

My experience:

When I was using a Roku 3 with SC card installed, I found the card would get corrupted every so often, with the result that when restarting the Roku it would not get to the regular Roku home screen, but would get stuck at the dancing R O K U letters.  Removing the SD card fixed that.

My computer has a card reader that can handle SD cards and I could restore the card by reformatting it to where it would work in the Roku again.  On my Windows computer I would do a slow (i.e. not "fast") format of the card via elect FAT32 with the default allocation size.

Also, see if this post helps: https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes-Accessories/Added-SD-Card-Remote-no-longer-works/m-p/646676#M1...

After having to do this several times, I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and just left the SD card out.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos