Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jyt
Binge Watcher

advice in purchasing device

Jump to solution

i have limited knowledge of electronics.  

10 month old roku (premier?  it's not labeled. the $28 model. ) device appears to have died.  wireless does not connect even tho screen says wireless signal is "strong."  tv is older toshiba with hdmi and 1080.  

i bought a replacement:  roku ultra (the $69 model).  it will not turn the set on or off and the volume changed one incremental number at a time.  15 clicks to turn it up or down.  (i returned it to seller.)  that issue seems odd given the first, more simple, device (premier?) handled on/off and volume with one click.  

question:  which roku recommended for older tv --where on/off and volume will perform correctly?  this is my bedroom set where only hulu and criterion involved.

thank you for helping me.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: advice in purchasing device

Jump to solution

I would guess the TV control was related to which IR codeset was chosen, rather than anything fundamental to the model type.  Ie: sometimes when asked whether you can hear the music or whatever some automated code selector is asking, it can be a good idea to lie to it, and move on to try another codeset.  Some manufacturers have MANY IR codesets and some of them overlap/partially work with the "wrong" TV.

View solution in original post

jyt
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

never occurred to me to "lie" to an electronic device😉.  will go retrieve it from the 'to-be-returned' box in trunk of my car and try again.  thankyou.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I would guess the TV control was related to which IR codeset was chosen, rather than anything fundamental to the model type.  Ie: sometimes when asked whether you can hear the music or whatever some automated code selector is asking, it can be a good idea to lie to it, and move on to try another codeset.  Some manufacturers have MANY IR codesets and some of them overlap/partially work with the "wrong" TV.

jyt
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

never occurred to me to "lie" to an electronic device😉.  will go retrieve it from the 'to-be-returned' box in trunk of my car and try again.  thankyou.

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Older cheaper Roku (e.g. Express and Premiere lines) only support 2.4ghz b/g/n Wi-Fi.  Some ISP are now disabling that, as many services support 5ghz.  That's why the WiFi may have "failed" for Roku (get 2.4 turned back on). 

But the small cheap boxes do experience WiFi failures (I have an express fail that way).  Personally I think a heat dissipation problem in the small form factor makes this more common.

Some remotes control the volume and power via the HDMI cable (hdmi-cec), some using ir codes, and may behave differently. Older TV may not have hdmi-cec or it may not work right. Configure in roku and TV.

You can also try a universal remote with TV and ultra.  Oneforall 7935 can control both for example. Or there are roku or clones that have configurable volume/power for TV.

Voice remote / voice remote pro control TV via HDMI.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
jyt
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

thank you for your help.  i tried a bunch of different codes and found one that changes volume and turns the tv on/off.  it wasn't a code listed for tv's maker.  

will save your info regarding universal remote.  if present work-around fails will buy new remote. 

0 Kudos