Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sivartk
Level 8

Your Devices is Overheating (after 20 minutes of power up - New Roku Express+ 3910RW)

I'm trying to figure out if I have a defective Roku Express+.  I bought it on November 6 and yesterday (November 11th) when I powered it up and watched 20 minutes of a YouTube video I get the warning that the Roku is overheating.  Even when in standby the unit stays very warm.

I have it connected to an old Tube TV and it is out in the open and the Roku is sitting on top of the TV which is out in the open.  The TV and the area around the Roku isn't warmer than room temp.  (Which was about 68F when the issue occurred).

Do I need to return this for a refund and see if WalMart has any more on their website?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
gnonny11
Level 9

Re: Your Devices is Overheating (after 20 minutes of power up - New Roku Express+ 3910RW)

I'm neither an official Roku support person here, not really a techie either, but just as a suggestion, is there some way you could place your Roku box some place besides on top of your TV?  I'd try that if I were you (after making sure the Roku is cooled down). Might help, might not, worth a shot, if that's an option. Maybe a table nearby that's reachable? Just someplace where it's not sitting on anything that also gets power.

Roku 4230x - 1080HD//SonyBravia55 TV-4K//Ethernet
Favorite/most used channels:Netflix, Hulu, DC Universe, Disney+, PlutoTV, Criterion, Prime, Starz
0 Kudos
sivartk
Level 8

Re: Your Devices is Overheating (after 20 minutes of power up - New Roku Express+ 3910RW)

I could but it won't make a difference as I would have to put it on my wood dresser which is a better insulator than the plastic of the TV.  The TV plastic is room temperature, so putting it on a better insulator would actually make the situation worse.