Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katconstan
Reel Rookie

Wrong time zone all of a sudden, and not able to log into app and not able to fix

Woke up this morning and all of a sudden my Roku is in a different time zone (Central) I did not make this change. I have the time zone to be set automatically, but for some reason it thinks I am in Central time when I am really in Eastern time zone. I have done a factory reset and it still thinks I am in the Central time zone. Due to not being in the correct time zone, Hulu thinks I am 'not at home' and I cannot log into the app. I am able to log into the Hulu app on other devices.

Why does my Roku streaming stick+ all of a sudden think I am in the central time zone and how do I get the changed back, so it automatically thinks again that I am in the Eastern time zone? 

5 REPLIES 5
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Wrong time zone all of a sudden, and not able to log into app and not able to fix

You can manually set the time zone in the Settings/System/Time menu.

As to why it's placed you in Eastern, it's all dependent on your Internet service. Your ISP connects to the public Internet through a gateway, and where that gateway is located is where your Internet location appears to be. For a couple of examples, cellular companies usually have a gateway far away from where you are actually located. For example, I'm in Seattle, but AT&T has at times shown me as in Denver or Dallas. My employer (a federal government agency) routes all out Internet through a gateway in Oklahoma City, so web sites with location based advertisements often show me OKC ads. 

If your TZ changed overnight, your ISP might have switched you to a different gateway for some reason. Perhaps for maintenance, perhaps to a lower cost gateway. You may need to leave your TZ setting on manual to keep it accurate. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
katconstan
Reel Rookie

Re: Wrong time zone all of a sudden, and not able to log into app and not able to fix

I know I can manually set the time zone.

My roommate also has a Roku and her time zone is working correcting and we are connecting to the same internet provider. Not having the same time zone on my Roku is a problem.

This is also causing me not being able to log into my Hulu app account.

renojim

What location does https://www.iplocation.net/ show for you?

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
katconstan
Reel Rookie

New Jersey

0 Kudos
renojim

Well that's definitely Eastern.  Different location services will report different locations, so it's still possible there's a problem there.  Try rebooting everything - modem/router and Roku.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos