Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChaosRipper
Level 7

Windows 10 video file 'cast to device' with Roku

Hi all, sorry if posting in the wrong location.

I'm looking into getting a Roku for my dad for the purpose of letting him play downloaded videos from his Windows 10 PC to the Roku. He doesn't have a smart TV, and the USB ports on the TV never recognise any USB. So I'm considering the old Roku 3, the TV is also 1080p so I don't think I'd need a newer more expensive 4K Roku.

The Roku 3 seems great price wise and includes the USB port. I've never owned a Roku before so I'm just here asking if on the Roku 3 (Or any Roku), this procedure will work:

On Windows 10, if you right click any media file, there's an option that says "Cast to Device" and if you select a smart TV, it immediately turns up on the TV. I believe this is cast through DLNA; A term I've only been familiar with for the past hour or so of internet searching.

I've seen on some youtube videos that these Roku can access your PC through the 'Roku Media Player' app, but that seems to involve clicking through every folder of your PC to find the file, something that my dad probably won't be happy to do.

If the answer to my question is a no, then I would secondly be wondering if accessing your PC through the Roku media player app can access a select folder so maybe he can dump what he'd like to watch in that folder on the PC and then easily and quickly access it on the Roku.

Thanks in advance for helping with my probably convoluted question!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
fluke
Level 13

Re: Windows 10 video file 'cast to device' with Roku

@ChaosRipper wrote:

Hi all, sorry if posting in the wrong location.

I'm looking into getting a Roku for my dad for the purpose of letting him play downloaded videos from his Windows 10 PC to the Roku. He doesn't have a smart TV, and the USB ports on the TV never recognise any USB. So I'm considering the old Roku 3, the TV is also 1080p so I don't think I'd need a newer more expensive 4K Roku.

The Roku 3 seems great price wise and includes the USB port. I've never owned a Roku before so I'm just here asking if on the Roku 3 (Or any Roku), this procedure will work:

On Windows 10, if you right click any media file, there's an option that says "Cast to Device" and if you select a smart TV, it immediately turns up on the TV. I believe this is cast through DLNA; A term I've only been familiar with for the past hour or so of internet searching.

I've seen on some youtube videos that these Roku can access your PC through the 'Roku Media Player' app, but that seems to involve clicking through every folder of your PC to find the file, something that my dad probably won't be happy to do.

If the answer to my question is a no, then I would secondly be wondering if accessing your PC through the Roku media player app can access a select folder so maybe he can dump what he'd like to watch in that folder on the PC and then easily and quickly access it on the Roku.

Thanks in advance for helping with my probably convoluted question!

The USB port on most pre-smart TVs is for diagnostic purposes and upgrade of the firmware.

Roku should be able to do what you want.  It does support DLNA.  There is also support for PLEX which will also allow you to stream from a computer.  Also, the USB port can be used to play files.

The important thing is to make sure your video files are formated in H.264 format.  If they aren't you can transcode them with a program such as Handbrake.

You may find this Roku knowledgebase article useful to learn more:

https://support.roku.com/article/208754908 

0 Kudos