Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Will the new Roku express work with my old Roku?

I have a ROKU SD....really old!  I keep seeing an update featured but don't know if it will work with my old Sharp TV.  Any ideas or should I just buy it and, if it doesn't work, return it???  Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Will the new Roku express work with my old Roku?

We'd need to know the model number of your Sharp TV to ensure it has the necessary resolution support. Some early HDMI equipped TVs only supported 1080i and 540i via the HDMI input. 

I just looked at the specs for the Roku SD, and I see it is a simple standard definition player, with no HDMI output at all. There is no current Roku player that has analog outputs like yours has. Unless your Sharp TV supports 720p and/or 1080p with an HDMI input, there is no Roku (or any other player for that matter) that will work on it.

You are probably aware, but your Roku is so old it is no longer supported, and very few existing channels will work on it. Yeah, it's time to upgrade. Hopefully you don't need a TV update too.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos