Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HoracioPrz
Level 8

Will old Roku Sound bars get dolby vision or HDR10+ ? models 9100X 9101R ?

Hello.

As tittle refers, I'd like to know if there would be any update of the existing sound bars to use newer, better formats? 

Or these are only possible on the newest roku ultra / new streambar 9102 ? 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 17

Re: Will old Roku Sound bars get dolby vision or HDR10+ ? models 9100X 9101R ?

Considering the latest Ultra only added DV support (previous Ultras and all other 4K/HDR-capable models already have HDR10 and HLG support), the chances of getting HDR10+ are effectively zero (especially since HDR10+ is a direct competitor to DV, and implementing both requires additional code complexity).

As far as existing models getting new Dolby functionality (DV, or DA decoding etc) requiring an updated license, the chances are also effectively zero.

If you want those better formats/capabilities, you'll have to buy/obtain the newer devices.

0 Kudos
HoracioPrz
Level 8

That's pretty rough. Roku is still selling their sound bars 9100x and 9101R for $150-200, imagine these being inferior in capabilities than the 9102 streambar at $130.

This doesn't make much sense as they are effectively making a year old product worse than their lower end newer product. 

I thought they could just get a firmware to update all their soundbars at the same level.

Anyway if they are really not implementing these features they will really deter me for getting any new products from them and move to an android based streamer which they look to be actually futureproof

Thanks for your input @StreamerUser 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 17

They can update the firmware, that really isn't the issue, its the licensing (and perhaps some hardware limitations as well).

I'd be happy to be wrong about the DV/DA decoding, but the HDR10+ just isnt going to happen.

I generally recommend a multi-platform (at least 3, including the the Smart TV) approach to streaming/streaming apps (one of which is Android/Android based so you can sideload apps if necessary) for reasons of carriage disputes, compatibility issues, bad software (firmware/app) updates, hardware and app functionality limitations/differences, and peace of mind.

You can get most of the competitors' products with 4K/Atmos for $30-50 (e.g. Amazon FireTV Stick 4K for $30 (does HDR10+), or a Google Chromecast w/Google TV for $50, TiVo Stream 4K for $50, Xiaomi Mi Box S/4K for $50, etc etc), or if you want something higher end (though perhaps less functional/compatible in some ways) a Nvidia Shield 2019 or Apple TV 4K for $150-200.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 21

The new roku streambar does not have dolby vision. Only the 2020 Ultra 4800 has it. 

Edmund
0 Kudos