Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will not allow me to cast

What a waste of money. 79 dollars for a roku ultra and I hook it up to learn none of my fave apps will cast to it. Should have just stuck with my 20 dollar chromecast. Wont ever buy another roku device again. If you are thinking of upgrading from chromecast to roku for the feature of a remote.  Dont. It doesnt work, you can only cast from supported apps and alot are not supported. Total waste of time and money. Not at all happy with their product.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Will not allow me to cast

You used the term "cast". Roku devices do not support Chromecast, and never have. They do support Miracast from Windows 10 laptops (I've done so many times). Some sites such as YouTube allows "casting" from the computer to a Roku, since the Roku also has a YouTube app available. Many Roku devices (but not all) support AirPlay 2 from iOS devices. 

Since you listed your model as Ultra (there are a number of different versions), I can say that it supports all of the above. But you have to ensure the device you're sending the video from (say your phone) is connected to the same network, and there's no security settings on your WiFi that blocks devices from seeing each other. That last one is something that catches many users. They might not even know they have such a setting, and that it's enabled. But I assure you that all versions of the Roku Ultra work just fine with AirPlay2 and miracasting. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Will not allow me to cast

@Justdave1980 wrote:

What a waste of money. 79 dollars for a roku ultra and I hook it up to learn none of my fave apps will cast to it. Should have just stuck with my 20 dollar chromecast. Wont ever buy another roku device again. If you are thinking of upgrading from chromecast to roku for the feature of a remote.  Dont. It doesnt work, you can only cast from supported apps and alot are not supported. Total waste of time and money. Not at all happy with their product.

As @atc98092 mentioned, Roku's are not GoogleCast (ChromeCast) compatible.

They are Miracast (mirroring), AirPlay2 (casting/mirroring), DIAL (casting), and PlayOnRoku (casting) compatible.

Since most apps are GoogleCast and AirPlay compatible, and not DIAL/PoR compatible, very few of them will cast to Rokus.

The good news is that since you prefer ChromeCast products, the $50 ChromeCast w/Google TV has Chromecast Built-in and apps for every popular subscription service, so you should return your Ultra and get the CCWGTV.

0 Kudos