Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Will TCL Roku get the 9.3 update?

TCL model 32S305 Roku TV 8103X. Today it just updated to 9.2.6. Will this model get 9.3? I know my remote doesn't have voice commands but wondering if I'll get any other updates?

(Note, I got 9.2.6 in an unusual way. Typically I go to 'Check for updates' in the System menu. Today I tried that and it said no updates available. Then I went to System > Add new speaker, thinking I could try to use my Google Home Mini as a speaker. The TV said I needed to upgrade to 9.2.6 so I did. Strange that I wasn't offered this update through the regular 'Check for updates' system method)

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Will TCL Roku get the 9.3 update?

That's weird. I am not sure 9.3 is coming to TCL tv anytime soon. I guess it will take a year or probably two to get the update because of this pandemic. They are very slow regardless. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Go to settings >remote&devices>set up a new device >speakers and this will force 9.3.0

Highlighted
Level 8

Can confirm trying to add a speaker forces 9.3. Same as it forced 9.2.6 which I have also done inadvertently. Bizarre that it wouldn’t just update when you check for new software. 

@neydor wrote:

Go to settings >remote&devices>set up a new device >speakers and this will force 9.3.0

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

As an aside, and I’m sorry that it’s off topic, but I’m eager to see if this fixes the horrendous audio lag bug that occurs over HDMI-ARC that they’ve known about for a year or two but hesitate to acknowledge. I guess I’ll try it out! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@dhaval85 wrote:

That's weird. I am not sure 9.3 is coming to TCL tv anytime soon. I guess it will take a year or probably two to get the update because of this pandemic. They are very slow regardless. 

Nothing weird at all if you actually read the official Roku announcements. Roku has always stated clearly roll-outs to Roku TV will take MONTHS.

Dated march 31st:

See https://blog.roku.com/roku-os-93

Availability

Roku OS 9.3 will begin rolling out to select Roku players next month and is expected to roll out to all supported streaming players, including the Roku Smart Soundbar, in the coming weeks. Roku TV models are expected to receive the update in phases over the coming months.

Please hold off your pitchforks and shovels until the months are over and it is a year (March 2021).

You don't want it anyway based on all the issues reported here with Roku OS 9.3 on Roku TVs!  

TheTick (aka "Moose Twit" affectionately called by chht)
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO GO. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
Highlighted
Level 10

I guess you’re a Roku fan. I understand they said Months. But waiting for a software update for months for a TV I paid price for and has a **bleep**ty software. It’s not a good support IMO. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Yea sure... I'm the Roku fanboy with "Roku Mirroring sucks" in my signature.   Other than that I agree with all you typed.  Personally I hate Smart TVs. I like dumb TVs!   It's just the stupidest idea ever to jack up the price of a TV just to embed a computer in the TV.  Much better to have separate CHEAP replaceable unit that plugs into HDMI (Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, Set Top Box etc...).

By the way Roku Mirroring has been broken for over a decade .... get a Chromecast if you  need mirroring.

TheTick (aka "Moose Twit" affectionately called by chht)
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO GO. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Nothing weird at all if you actually read the official Roku

Roku OS 9.3 will begin rolling out to select Roku players next month and is expected to roll out to all supported streaming players, including the Roku Smart Soundbar, in the coming weeks. Roku TV models are expected to receive the update in phases over the coming months.

I’m just going out on a limb here and I’m going to say 6 months is months, plural, by definition, and it’s pretty significant for a rollout in any capacity. It’d would be different if they didn’t also control their hardware (i.e. Android) and it took this long, but when they have full control over it it’s far too long. Also, they announced in March that the TVs would get their update in June.

I mean, I guess by your definition any length of time can be measured in months. 12 months, 24 months, ten years is 120 months. Is that enough months?

Highlighted
Level 10

Agreed to that!

I believe making a better software isn’t their priority. Also most of the time TCL doesn’t even know about Roku bugs.