Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chileboy
Binge Watcher

Will Roku Ultra transcode over HDMI?

Jump to solution

Question: Will the newest Roku Ultra output 5.1 via a PCM signal (or transcode DD+ to DD)?

Long version:

I already have 4 Roku devices in my home, but have one issue I need to solve.

In my home theater, my Anthem AVM 50 pre/pro won't accept a DD+ signal - only DD, DTS. My Samsung display will accept DD+, but won't output 5.1 via optical, only stereo.

When I stream (for instance) Disney+, the signal is DD+, so the Roku Premier+ I am using will only output in stereo. This is the case whether it is connected directly to the Anthem or indirectly through the Samsung display (since HDMI defaults to the weakest link in the HDMI chain).

My workaround is that I have the Roku connected to the HDMI-In on my Oppo Blu-ray player, and then output to the Anthem via PCM 5.1. It works, but is kind of kludgy - plus, sometimes the handshake doesn't go well and I have to power down and start over.

If the answer to my initial question is "no", I'd appreciate any other advice.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Will Roku Ultra transcode over HDMI?

Jump to solution

Yes - the 4800 has a Dolby decoder and will transcode/convert DD+ to DD for output via HDMI, either autoconfigured detecting DD ("Auto detect" or "Auto passthrough"), or manually configured to DD.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yes - the 4800 has a Dolby decoder and will transcode/convert DD+ to DD for output via HDMI, either autoconfigured detecting DD ("Auto detect" or "Auto passthrough"), or manually configured to DD.

chileboy
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you so much!

-Mark

0 Kudos