Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Will Guideline #13 Destroy Roku?

@wabashtrail wrote:

If Roku added VPNs to the channel store, they would not work?

Certainly it would work if they offered it via the channel store. But they won't for the reasons I've already listed. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
wabashtrail
Binge Watcher

It seems that Firestick and Google TV have an unfair advantage.

I hope the best for Roku, and still plan to buy more of their stock.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Just appears to me that they'll allow content in their app store that can knowingly allow users to violate their terms of use agreements, and they simply don't care. There might be a legitimate use for a VPN on an Android device, but none pop into my mind at the moment. 

I just looked at a handful of VPNs in the Google Play Store, and none I looked at mentioned circumventing geo-restrictions (which makes sense, as they don't want to be viewed as encouraging illegal use). They are touting better privacy using public WiFi (a very valid reason), private web surfing (which can't be done on a Roku), shield yourself from cyber attack (questionable, but a possibility) and guarding sensitive data. Other than the first item, they really don't apply to a streaming player. They are more designed for installing on Android phones and tablets. And for those devices they have some validity. But for a Fire TV device, none of those really matter, and getting around geo-locking is the only use case for a VPN on such devices.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts and the discussion.

As a friendly reminder of the Community guidelines:

Discussions regarding any usage of VPNs to circumvent established regional broadcast rules or limitations are not allowed in the Community. Any topic or comment posted regarding the use of a VPN, or any circumvention of applicable limitations, will be removed at Roku's discretion.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos